PDA

View Full Version : my new 87 250r i need some help

woodsracer144
05-13-2008, 12:04 PM
hello, i got a 87 trx250r last night and it runs on 110 and i wanna get it to go on 93 at least... theres a little spacer plate at the bottom of the jug(theres the bottom end, gasket, spacer, gasket ,topend) i would like to know what that does... i also would like to know if anyone knows what FTZ's number is... its the top end 265 from them and the guy didnt know if it was a high compression or the heads shaved... its got a air striker 38? cirtis sparks reeds FTZ topend with a LA sleeve? and a sparks full pipe.... for the motor... i think it was build with a few races on it but not 100% sure... the gut flat tracked it...

another thing i would like to know is do the throttles stick on these some times? becasue last night it stuck for a little bit but i pulled in the clutch and hit the throttle and it went back... any one know whats up with that? i dont know if its the cable or if its the normal...

thanks

wilkin250r
05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Sticking throttles are NOT normal. And personally, that's one of those issues I wouldn't tolerate even a little bit, because it's not just blown motors, it's broken bones. Hospital bills are much more expensive than repair bills. I'd replace the cable with a brand new one (don't just lube it), clean the carb slide, and take apart and clean the thumb throttle.

The spacer plate, it's about 1/4 inch tall? Very common.

They changed the piston and crank in 87, they made the connecting rod 5mm longer, but also designed the piston so that the wrist pin is 5mm deeper, keeping the total combined height of the assembly the same.

If you use an 87-89 crank (called a long-rod) with an 86 piston, the piston will sit 5mm too tall. But the spacer plate will move the entire cylinder up 5mm to bring everything back to spec. Like I said, it's very common.

danhung11
05-13-2008, 03:24 PM
type in FTZ or john fitzpatrick into google, it should come up. If you call, alex is the shop man. He is forgetful at times but very friendly.

Let me know if you are interested in a FTZ ceramic coated pipe and brand new billet silencer.

Hope this helps.

woodsracer144
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
i like my sparks pipe...

ok
but tonight when i got home from school it ran like ****... last night it ran great and i thought the getting was off and it was sounding like it was running out of gas... so i put a 182 in the carb.... that was too rich...had a 180 then i put a 175 and that was even worse.... so i dont know whats goin on the guy said it runs on 110... and theres the plate on the bottom of the motor there so i dont know what that does.... if any one could tell me that it would be great!
thanks

danhung11
05-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i like my sparks pipe...

ok
but tonight when i got home from school it ran like ****... last night it ran great and i thought the getting was off and it was sounding like it was running out of gas... so i put a 182 in the carb.... that was too rich...had a 180 then i put a 175 and that was even worse.... so i dont know whats goin on the guy said it runs on 110... and theres the plate on the bottom of the motor there so i dont know what that does.... if any one could tell me that it would be great!
thanks

Did you read the post that wilkin250r posted? :ermm:

woodsracer144
05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
im sorry i just saw that post... and now i got it to run also.. the plug was gapped wrong... i dont know what its sopose to be but i have it at .022 right now... i think thats how you put it...

i talked with my buddy and he said hes gonna buy me a new one... and then to night i just about smoked a fence post... a bick old wooden one... but i pulled the clutch in and pulled the tether.... i really need a new cable... the slides fine... i cleaned the carb when i was trying jets... i have a 175 in now and it had a 180 and i didnt change anything on it....

the guy say its sopose to run with 110 what will happen if i put 93 in it? i dont wanna tear apart the motor if i dont have to... and mem. weekend im going trailin with it also...

my88r
05-13-2008, 07:53 PM

the guy say its sopose to run with 110 what will happen if i put 93 in it? i dont wanna tear apart the motor if i dont have to... and mem. weekend im going trailin with it also...

well, whats the compression.

woodsracer144
05-13-2008, 08:15 PM
havent checked it... i'll get that tomorrow for you... i got it to run tonight but i dont know if running on the 93 i have in there will rune the motor... its a half a gallon...

my88r
05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
do a compression test to see if you need to run 110. if the compression is high you will half to. :macho

woodsracer144
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
how high will it have to be for me to run with 110?

could i buy 93 pump gas and put a 104 boster in... i put a gallon of mixed at 40-1 in with 2 oz of 104 booster in... ( is 16 oz and it said up to 25 gal. so i divided 25 by 16 and its 1.5 something)

my88r
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
how high will it have to be for me to run with 110?

could i buy 93 pump gas and put a 104 boster in... i put a gallon of mixed at 40-1 in with 2 oz of 104 booster in... ( is 16 oz and it said up to 25 gal. so i divided 25 by 16 and its 1.5 something)

i think any thing over 180 i believe i could be wrong. that octane booster is junk. only mix with race gas/ 93:D

86 Quad R
05-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i think any thing over 180 i believe i could be wrong. that octane booster is junk. only mix with race gas/ 93:D

agree'd

:cool:

woodsracer144
05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
well it was more so RC nitro....

but heres what i've found out tonight... its running on 151PSI and i took the head off to put a different dome on and its a PRO Cross head. and its got the changeable dome in it i think... its not useing a head gasket its got 2 O-rings and thats the gasket
i dont know what the CC of the dome is but i need a differnt dome to run less oct.

im running a
• La sleeve cylinder, head and piston bored to 265cc
• Pro-X piston, plus extra piston
• FTZ port work and nickel coated
• Keihn Air Stricker 38mm carb.
• Curtis Sparks Racing TT pipe
and i also have a kn air filter but she needs to be changed...

are foam filters better? it dont matter to me if i have to rejet it be cause i will to run with that different dome.

my88r
05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
foam filters are better. i run a uni:macho

woodsracer144
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
what do you say about the motor? know what i could do to make it a "trail" quad fast... dont wanna spend 6 bucks on a gallon of race gas

woodsracer144
05-15-2008, 04:41 PM
i took the dome out of the head and teh numbers on the dome are 660220

can anyone make anything out of this... thanks

is pro cross and la sleeve the same...?