PDA

View Full Version : How To: Install ATV Hand Grips

Pappy
05-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Replacement grips offer many advantages over their stock counterparts, the biggest of which is added rider control. Hard compound stock grips become slick and ones hand can slip off the bars over rough terrain or when attempting to tackle a motocross jump. Softer compounds add differing grip patterns offer major advantages over stock and while they tend to wear faster, they are inexpensive and as you will see a snap to install.

Pappy
05-13-2008, 07:57 AM
The majority of stock grips are held in place by glue and the end caps, which will need to be removed if you are re-installing the new grips on the stock bars. A razor blade or knife will work to cut the old grip, just be extra careful not to add yourself to the things being cut!

Pappy
05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
With the old grip removed, clean any old glue off the bar and prepare the bar surface for the new grip. This can be done with some lacquer thinner and a rag and depending on how much glue is left; you may need to scrape off the glue with a razor blade. Grip glue is available for purchase and some grip sets even come with it, and you should not use other glue not designed for that particular grip as the glue can react with the grip and in extreme cases, the grip can melt right off the bar! We prefer to use simple tacky chain lube and believe it or not, it works wonders! It does not take much as you do not want to hose down the inside of the grip.

Pappy
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Once you have applied the grip glue or your choice of adhesive, and making sure it has fully coated the inside of the grip with a thin covering, slide it on the bar, keeping it even and not twisting the grip pattern out of shape.

Pappy
05-13-2008, 08:00 AM
The procedure is the same for the other grip; however, you will want to prick a hole in this grip to allow air to escape as to prevent the trapped air from keeping the grips to get a good seal on the bar

Pappy
05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
After installing, allow the grip glue/adhesive to cure, usually a few hours depending on the temperature and overnight would be best. The addition of the grip cushions has proven beneficial to us and for the price; you cannot beat the added comfort to your hands .

Thats it, nothing magical or no degree in mechanics required to replace your grips. Just be sure to check that they have adhered good to the bar before ripping it up!

pro-rider46
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
nice write up pappy.

leasureryan
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Hand grip glue or hair spray has to work better than chain lube......

You may be right....I just fear trying it, due to the fact it would be hard to remove if it does slide around. Would just rather do it the right way

Pappy
06-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by leasureryan
Hand grip glue or hair spray has to work better than chain lube......

You may be right....I just fear trying it, due to the fact it would be hard to remove if it does slide around. Would just rather do it the right way

Its easier to remove then grip glue, has worked for us for over 4 seasons of GNCC racing. I dont state to ONLY use it, but many have informed me they have had to use it in a pinch and now use it regularly.

07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
awesome write up, i had a problem getting my new grips on, searched "installing grips" got this thread. Pictures are a nice touch too. thanks

v0lcom13sn0w
08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
use hairspray. works the best. either that or use a compresser with an air nozzle to blow air through the handle bar to widen out the grip a little bit so that it slides right on then cut a small hole in the other grip and spray air in it while holding the other one on. easy.:D

woodsracer882
08-28-2008, 12:12 AM
I use brake cleaner. The grips slide right on and WILL NOT come loose. It kinda melts them to the bars I guess. By the way,nice write up Pappy!

v0lcom13sn0w
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
i had some buddies find these ODI grips at dunefest at one of then vendors when we all were there, i think they're way worth it because you tighten them down and dont have to worry about it

http://www.odipowersports.com/ATV/ATV_Home.htm

http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/catalog_keyword_search.asp?keysearch=Go&keyword=ODI

http://www.odigrips.com/

RaceReflections
02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I have always used silicon spray. Spray it inside the grip, as it begins to dry its slippery and the grip slides right on. Then I heat the grip to dry the rest of the spray. Seems to work well too.

spencer_shinn
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Replacement grips offer many advantages over their stock counterparts, the biggest of which is added rider control. Hard compound stock grips become slick and ones hand can slip off the bars over rough terrain or when attempting to tackle a motocross jump. Softer compounds add differing grip patterns offer major advantages over stock and while they tend to wear faster, they are inexpensive and as you will see a snap to install.
Those are some good grips there
just bought me a pair :D
love em

trx450r ryder
02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
i use clear coat 4 my glue and it hssnt failed me yet

Bill Martin
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Back in the old days I used any kind of lacker based spray paint, that workes real good but now I use grip glue.
I can't remember what brand it is, it's stowed away in the trailer but it's realy just supper glue.
You have to be carfull not to get it on your hands or you'll be sleeping in the trailer with your hands stuck to the bike.LOL!!
It works good though, the grips will wear out befor they come lose.

siggy konowaluk
11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by trx450r ryder
i use clear coat 4 my glue and it hssnt failed me yet

yeah same, and i just take the air nossle to it and blow them right off.

tt racer
12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I like that rusty knife im sure thats the best tool to use.:devil:

Phantasm400ex
02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
safety wire on the inner and outer sections will never move even when wet

zukirder93
04-01-2010, 02:21 PM
so chain lube realy works that well?

tim_stebbins23
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I have tried the grip glue and brake cleaner a few times when installing new grips on my quads. A few years ago while riding I was having an issue with one of my grips spinning around the bar. An old timer at the track told me to rub some gas on the inside of the grip if I wanted to fix the issue for good. I tried it and now gas is the only thing I use to install my grips. The gas breaks down the rubber and makes it bond to the bars, you will have to cut them off when it's time to replace them but install is easy. Make sure the bars are clean and after sliding them on let it sit for about 30 minutes to let any excess gas evaporate. This process hasn't failed me yet.

Aarons 01 400EX
03-05-2011, 09:26 AM
What is the best way to remove hand grips without destroying them? I just bought a new 08' 400, and i want take the grips off and put them on my old 300, which has ODI grips on it.

Cpt_killem
03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I found that the easiest way to remove and put on grips is with an air compressor. If you have the tool that just blows out air, you put the tip right on the inside part of the grip and it will pretty much fall off with no lube or cutting! it works the same way putting on just push the grip on while shooting air down the open part of the grip. :) I like this because no mess!

trx250xtim
04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
wait... use chain lube to clean the grips or as an adhesive? this is confusing me and i dont want to screw up.

coryatver
05-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by trx250xtim
wait... use chain lube to clean the grips or as an adhesive? this is confusing me and i dont want to screw up.

there using it as an adhesive. make sure it is the sticky kind most of the newer chain lubes are non sticky "no mess" type and I don't think they would work.

I use 3M gasket and weatherstrip adhesive. Also those Pillow Top Grips for me were like cheese graders on my hands:eek2:

I found the best way to remove grips without ruining them is roll them off

mitch250r
07-20-2011, 04:46 AM
I have found that some still slightly wet spray paint makes them stick sooo good and some WD40 to get the grips on works really good, have trouble getting them off

I have never used this method on my quads but I came across it one day when i painted the handlebars on a bike and was impatient to get the project together lol

predhunter24
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
And if you want to save the old grips that are on there you can also use a air compressor. Just stick the nossle under the grip and it will puff up and slide right off. It also works for installing them...

Darnell J. Neal
07-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks Pappy!!Its really help ful for us ....I caring my ATV alot s that's why I am maintainig with my own way.