PDA

View Full Version : Broken Spark Plug

sprayedgt
05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
I bought a 2008 400EX back in March and had about 100 miles on it, so I took it to a Honda dealership to have it's first service done. They did the valves, changed the oil and filter, and changed the spark plug. Well, this past week I did the Sparks Timing Advance, re-jetted the carb, and installed a full Youshimura RS-3 Carbon Fiber Exhaust. I figured that since I put the new stuff on I would go ahead and put in a new plug since the one in there had about 10-12 hrs on it. I went to take the plug out and it wouldn't move?? So I took the body and gas tank off so I could get a better look. I tried again and SNAP the plug broke in half!! I looked at the plug and noticed that the number on it was NGK DPR8EA-9 (166 different applications)and my manual calls for NGK DPR8Z (3 applications). The number on my invoice from the service matches the installed plug. Upon further inspection the gasket on the plug they put in was not crushed in the least bit!! Which tells me that the technician cross threaded it when he installed it. So, the 400 is sitting at the dealership and it's not going to be until tomorrow until they can look at it. How likely is it that they'll be able to remove the old plug?? And if they do get it out they'll have to Heli-Coil it correct?? Or will they be held liable for the mistake and have to put a new head on?? Sorry about the length of the post guys. I just have no clue where this one is going and how screwed I'm going to be if they won't fix their mistake:(

my88r
05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
the dealership should do what ever it takes to fix it. then FIRE the guy how did it. as he doesn't know his ****. sorry to hear about that. you half pay close attention to what these stealerships do to your machines. :grr:

Hondamaster5505
05-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I hate stealerships:rolleyes:

They never know what the @!$% they're doing. I think they do more harm then good. Granted, some dealerships are good, but most suck.

They're most likely going to find a way to blame you for it, so it saves their butts and they don't have to work on it. If that's the case, I'd call up the best lawyer in town:macho

sprayedgt
05-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Well if they intend on blaming it on me they have no idea what they're in for. They told me that the plug should have worked, which it does have the same thread. But the difference is the one they installed is 2mm shorter, and since it never seated to crush the gasket was way up in the chamber, so the spark was shrouded heavily. That's probably why it didn't seem to run as strong after the service as it did before. I blamed it on me just getting used to the power, not that they f'ed it up!! If they end up putting a brand new head on it I have no problem with that. But if they intend on heli coiling it, that's just not gunna cut it as it's most likely going to come out sooner or later anyway.

my88r
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
Well if they intend on blaming it on me they have no idea what they're in for. They told me that the plug should have worked, which it does have the same thread. But the difference is the one they installed is 2mm shorter, and since it never seated to crushed the gasket was way up in the chamber, so the spark was shrouded heavily. That's probably why it didn't seem to run as strong after the service as it did before. I blamed it on me just getting used to the power, not that they f'ed it up!! If they put a brand new head on it I have no problem with that. But if they intend on heli coiling it, that's just not gunna cut it as it's most likely going to come out sooner or later anyway.

how long did you run it for. that could of caused more damage then just a broken spark plug.

sprayedgt
05-12-2008, 03:09 PM
I had one riding trip on it. I guess about 10-12 hrs on the plug they installed.