PDA

View Full Version : Crank installation??

two85atc250r's
05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey guys, should the crank just slide right into the left side crankcase half (stator side) or is it supposed to be a press fit? When I tore the motor apart the crank just fell right out. Is it supposed to be that loose? I replaced the main bearing and seals and the crank still doesn't fit in tight, it just slides right in. Is that how it's supposed to go together? thanks.

skyhighatv
05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
No,its supposed to be a press fit into the left main bearing,do you have an oem crank? Ive seen some hot rods that were a slip fit.

two85atc250r's
05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
yeah its OEM. and the bearing is brand new. Do you think it will be ok to just put it back together? Is there something wrong with the crank you think? can it wear the crankshaft to where its not tight if the bearing has gone bad before? I am kinda stumped, I don't know if I need to start looking for a new crank or just use this one. I am in a hurry though, gotta be at Little Sahara in 3 weeks!:confused:

Aceman
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Mine was the same way. It's supposed to be a press fit but it slid right in, not sloppy, but not a press fit either. I'm not saying you should do it, but mine has about 4 hrs on a fresh rebuild with no problems so far. Knock on wood.

two85atc250r's
05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks Ace, you're always a big help. Yeah, mine is the same as yours. It's not sloppy at all, it's a good fit, but it does just slip right in. We are talking about the crank still. lol. I think that I may just try and put it back together the way it is with my fingers crossed. Hope it holds up. Glad to hear someone else has experienced the same thing. Thanks again.

Rich250RRacer
05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I've seen some race motors put together with worn journals on the crank and they've never had a problem. Would I do it it? For a race motor, never. If it's just a trail rider, then maybe. Your choice will depend on what your budget will allow, and what you're going to use it for.

two85atc250r's
05-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, my budget doesn't allow for a new crank that's for sure. I have another project bike not running but I hate to rob the crank out of it, I plan on rebuilding it over the summer. I only use mine as a dune rider about half a dozen times a year so there's not too much wear and tear on it. I'm putting it back together in the morning I have decided, so lets hope I'm doing the right thing! thanks guys.

86 Quad R
05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
once in a while you'll run into a crank thats a slip fit on both sides. it's generally not a problem unless it has sloppy fit. if its a snug fit as it is on the other side you should be fine.:cool: