PDA

View Full Version : 04 worn out motor?

redexrider4290
05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
i just read another thread about a guys crank or something coming out of his engine. Everyone said that it was probobly because of how old his bike is, and he had a 04. W
Well i have an o4 and i was wandering what i neeed to do to keep anyhing from happening to my engine.

do i need to replace some stuff or somehting. gaskets's,crank,rings, anything?

and i have herd aobut the crank thing for 04's mod but i have never had any problems with mine and i havend done the mod?

thanks

Pojo450r
05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
i had to replace mine but my ridin buddys have had no problems out of theirs yet. our 4 quads are ridin the same so mabey u too will have no problems good luck

BlaineKaiser450
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
i replace mine every 2-3 seasons (stock motor)

pro-rider46
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
i replace mine every 2-3 seasons (stock motor)

lol, have you even had yours for 2-3 seasons?

jw

Pojo450r
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
u replace ur crank every 2 seasons but u leave the rest of your motor stock that makes no sense imo.

BlaineKaiser450
05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
lol, have you even had yours for 2-3 seasons?

jw uhh yea. I got it 2 years ago. Summer season and the winter season races :macho

redexrider4290
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
so what exactly are you guys replaceing?, how do you know when to replace it? will i be loosing power?

pro-rider46
05-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
uhh yea. I got it 2 years ago. Summer season and the winter season races :macho

oh, i didnt know that you run winter seasons. its cool.

redexrider4290
05-14-2008, 10:22 AM
so i mean am i risking something by not replacing stuff. My bike runs fine but would it improve. and am i risking like blowing my motor or something????

thanks

05-14-2008, 10:47 AM
What happens is the right side crank bearing goes bad and the crank starts to move to the right. That in turn makes the crank shave down the right side case. That puts metal shaving through out the whole engine. I ride and race mine hard. I also change the oil every time I ride or race. Mine just let go 3 months ago. Luckily I change the oil so often so I caught it in the early stage. My point is even if you don't change the oil every time you ride I would at least take the oil filter out and check it for metal shavings. If it was me I let it ride until it breaks, but you can just change it out and be done with it. I also did a CP 12:1 piston and an 02 CRF cam. The power increase was nice. Good Luck with what ever you decide to do.

redexrider4290
05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
so this is definately happening to my bike? The bike is 4 years old and i'm the third owner. I don't think the crank bearing has been changed yet but im not sure. But i definately need to get this crank bearing mod done?

so to check i need to pull my oil filter out and see what, if there is any shaving on it?
and what do you mean let it go until it breaks? won't that like ruin my engine?

this is making me nervous because i'm suppose to go on like a 5 day riding trip with my buddy's in less than 2weeks. :eek:

so i would need a new crank bearing? what kind? where do i get it? and how much do you think it would be to get it put in or is it something i could do myself?

thank you guys for all the help it's really appreciated
thanks

05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
You have to split the cases to do it. It isn't a simple but isn't really hard either. If you have mechanical ability, tools and a service manual you should be able to do it. You will need the update crank kit that comes with the crank, collar. right bearing and seal. Then you need to order the left side bearing, seals and gaskets. Most of the dealers never even heard about the updated crank. I can get you all the part #s tonight when I get home if you want.

redexrider4290
05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
um wow that sounds complicated:ermm:
This is not why i baught a honda:cuss:

i don't have a service manual or really a place to even do this. the garage i keep my quad in is about 5000 years old has a dirt floor and is about 5-10 minutes from my house. i have some tools but what all would i need for this because i kinda have the basics. And if i were to go the route of having a dealorship do it any idea what it would cost?

thank you so much for the help though, this is kinda frustrating

thanks again, really apreciate it

05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
The parts are about $400 at a discounted price. I don't know how much labor they would charge, but i would think at least 4 or 5 hours.

Yes look at the oil filter for metal shavings.

redexrider4290
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
so this would be like a 800-1000 dollar mod.
that is awsome. man i am so glad to hear that lol :cuss:

redexrider4290
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
should have bought a LTR. GDI haha

INFAMOUSRACER7
05-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
should have bought a LTR. GDI haha

Why so he can have problems with the cylinder coating?

On your honda when you replace your crank your gonna want to check all the gears in the transmission to make sure there all fine and with it being that old its probably time for a cylinder and piston too, atleast a piston.

with just doing a crank your looking at around $450 for just parts and that is just replacing crank, main bearing and the 2 oil seals on the crank and gaskets that does not include labor. And your lookin at about $900 for all that with a cylinder and stock piston

Then labor: if you take the motor out and take just the motor to someone there going to charge you around 250 to split the cases
but if you take the whole bike to them there most likely going to charge you at least an hour and a half to pull the motor out and put it back in.

Everything wears out eventually it doesnt matter what brand it is. Each brand has there own problems there is no perfect brand.

400exrider707
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
You did buy a Honda, but you also bought a race quad. You want something that will last forever without doing much then get a 400ex. Mine has blown up twice now, about a year on the dot both times, so the motor goes about a year, and I realistically dont do that many races, but I do ride a bit and I ride hard. I change my motor oil every 2-3 rides depending on how it was ridden and for how long. Coolant was replaced every year as well, and my air filter is cleaned after EVERY ride. First time my rod bearing went, this time my JE piston broke at max RPM in 5th gear. Everything from the head down is junk, minus tranny and few small parts. I needed new cylinder, piston, center cases (yes both) rod/crank setup, bearings, gaskets and I'll have it done for less than $1000 easily. Doing all the work myself. Price to play...

05-24-2008, 05:39 AM
your looking at 600 to 800 to have them do it

TheNewn
05-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Riding it until it breaks is a very BAD idea and very bad advice.

I think you'll be fine on this 5 day trip you're going to have with your friends. In the mean time you can do a lot more research and decide what you're going to do.

I think your best bet would be to send your motor off to someone like C&D Racing and have them do a rebuild on it and check everything. I personally would not trust a dealer.

If you ride it until it breaks, you could end up replacing a LOT more things that are a LOT more expensive than some crank bearings.

Post in the C&D racing section of the forum and ask how much they'd charge. I'm pretty sure they do this kinda thing.

redexrider4290
05-28-2008, 08:31 AM
alright i changed my oil before the trip and i didn't see one metal shaving in my filter.:D
i pulled the filter out and checked it and saw nothing, i even cut it in half and checked inside it but there wasn' anything.

what does this mean. did i get lucky and my bearing is alright or what?

thanks

TheNewn
05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I guess i'll say it again,

In my opinion you're probably alright for the weekend trip or whatever it is that you're doing. But before too long i'd get the bearings replaced or at least the motor inspected.