PDA

View Full Version : +2 a-arms or not

kilgoja
05-12-2008, 12:07 AM
just want to know what the advantage of adding +2 a-arms is....does it help the quad turn better or something?...anyways i do all kinds of riding ....probably mostly trials....sometimes tight.....so would it be better to just stick with stock a-arms?....was thinking of getting some ishock front shocks

bearair
05-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Mainly it adds control arm length, which makes the suspension react smoother. It also adds width to the quad which improves stability. I can't speak to what the XC guys are running, but I put +2's on mine. It actually added about 4 1/2 inches to the total width. I ride on some pretty tight trails, so I ended up swapping out the front rims for 4+1 offset to narrow it back up a couple inches, and improve the bump steer. I like it that way and I ride on some fairly tight and rough trails. I wouldn't expect someone else to ride it that way, it's just what works for me.

whc
05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I put houser +2 arms on mine with trx450 shocks and 1 1/2 ince wider hubs on the rear with a used elka dual rate shock also added a piston type damper, what an improvement overall. I run some play moto, and race hare scrambles (mostly woods) the widen machine really seems to work much better in the woods, I think the steering damper was a big improvement. I would not buy the houser again (poor instuctions and mounting problems) but wider is better in my world. Mild Bill

400exMO
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Increasing width makes the quad more stable all over. You will probably want to invest in a new pair of shocks as well if you do any jumping. The added leverage will tear the stockers apart.

Houser is an A class company that makes top of the line parts.

whc
05-14-2008, 04:57 AM
I got a kick out of your comment about houser products, I have a new set of there 2+ arms the instructions where not accurate, there customer services was slow and vague. I would be hesitant to buy more of there products. Bill Carr

boosted3g
05-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I put houser +2s on a couple months ago and the instructions look impressive but them are not the best for a 400ex. The arms are excellent quality but the instructions will tell you wrong if you follow them. One main issue is that the zerks point up on bottom arm while the instructions tell you upper and lower go down. With a little time fitting things up youll realize this though and put them up. I would buy them again in a minute. Those along with resprung 450r shocks and an RPM axle and my 400ex rides better than i ever thought it could even in a variety of terrain. From big jumps to trails it rides great i wouldnt change it for a suspension costing twice as much.

buster024
05-14-2008, 11:55 PM
I've got +1's and ride mostly trails, with a little "play moto" as well. I can't say I'd want my bike any wider on most of the trails I ride on. 1's are perfect for me. 2's look sweet, but in my opinion they are to wide for tight trails.

....and my Houser arms did not treat me right either. Good product once you get it all together, but the service was poor (took 3 times, and 3 weeks just to get them to send me new bushings and sleeves), and the instructions were ridiculous. I'm very happy with them now, but the initial purchase sucked.

whc
05-15-2008, 05:30 AM
boosted who revaved your trx shocks, mild Bill