PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 1986 Honda 250R I hold the clutch in, drop to first, Jumps and dies!

395Rider
05-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Hello Everyone,

Please let me know if you have the solution to this problem. I turn the bike on while in neutral, I pull in the clutch, drop it to first gear and it jumps and dies. I adjust the cable clutch all the way out and no dice!

I took it apart and put a washer inside the Pressure Plate to get more extension, and its still the same!

When I inspected the clutch plates, and the steels had the imprints of the other plates.

I cleaned them off, and sanded away the prints.

The basket does rock a little bit, I'm not sure if thats normal. Please let me know.

MTDman11
05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
maybe you just need to replace the plates or the basket? i dont know i dont know much about the clutches, hopefully this bump will get someone to help you, i hate when threads die when people are in need

Which 450?
05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
will it die if you are on the throttle when you shift into 1st? givin it some r's to keep from stalling?

450rJam
05-12-2008, 04:44 PM
get the clutch rod upgrade kit (it was stock on the '89)

the mushroom piece that pushes the clutch has a ball that it rides on, and over time the steel ball gets smaller and pushes into the
rod

usually first signs are when it gets hard to find neutral, then the clutch just dont disengage

I would check this first

you can rest your quad on one side (I use a milk crate) and pull the cover so you dont even have to drain the oil

you can check servicehonda.com I think they even have the exploded view so you can see what im talking about

395Rider
05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MTDman11
maybe you just need to replace the plates or the basket? i dont know i dont know much about the clutches, hopefully this bump will get someone to help you, i hate when threads die when people are in need
Thank you for the advice and bump.

395Rider
05-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
get the clutch rod upgrade kit (it was stock on the '89)

the mushroom piece that pushes the clutch has a ball that it rides on, and over time the steel ball gets smaller and pushes into the
rod

usually first signs are when it gets hard to find neutral, then the clutch just dont disengage

I would check this first

you can rest your quad on one side (I use a milk crate) and pull the cover so you dont even have to drain the oil

you can check servicehonda.com I think they even have the exploded view so you can see what im talking about

You pretty much gave me the answer I was afraid to hear. I didnt want to put more money into the bike, but here I go! As you mentioned, the bike started out not engaging neutral. It has the push rod with the ball attached, which you mentioned. You are on the money on the two factors, so I'm going to bite the bullet and get the upgrade kit. Thanks for the help. Its highly appreciated!

This is the one I'm going to get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130214329997&rd=1

450rJam
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
thats the part

I thought it was about 50 bucks through service honda, you may see if one of the site sponsors carries it

its really an easy fix, may need a gasket too

if you ruff up the steel plates while your in there it will let your clutch grab even better

(old school way is just rub them flat on the concrete floor)

just clean them good before installing

and dont overtighten the basket bolts (they will break)

use the penny to hold gears so the motor wont turn when you tighten/loosen it all

MTDman11
05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
why wouldnt you put money into that nice old 250r. best bike ever built and the best hybrid frame =]

jamesblown97
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
my R does the same thing except as soon as i start it when its cold but after i let it idle foor a couple minutes and warm up a bit its fine

450rJam
05-16-2008, 04:28 AM
change your oil and see if it helps

(what weight oil you running?)

you may be able to adjust that out with the cable

395Rider
05-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam
thats the part

I thought it was about 50 bucks through service honda, you may see if one of the site sponsors carries it

its really an easy fix, may need a gasket too

if you ruff up the steel plates while your in there it will let your clutch grab even better

(old school way is just rub them flat on the concrete floor)

just clean them good before installing

and dont overtighten the basket bolts (they will break)

use the penny to hold gears so the motor wont turn when you tighten/loosen it all

If you got it for 50 bucks than I got cheezed! I didnt think the dealer would put a combo like this together.

I got the clutch cable in before the upgrade and its working now. The only problem is that I dont have the smooth motion anymore. I have to pull hard on the clutch. Money is tight, so I think I am going to resale the upgrade kit.

Thanks for the info. I've been in and out of the clutch 8 times, so I have already broken two bolts, learned about penny, and the clutch plates, well being that they were pretty beat up when I took them out, I dont think they need another *** kicking on the garage floor.

Thanks again for the info.

ADam

395Rider
05-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by jamesblown97
my R does the same thing except as soon as i start it when its cold but after i let it idle foor a couple minutes and warm up a bit its fine

yeah, I noticed that also. once it warms up, then it a lot looser. I think that the plates get stuck together if it sits too long.

wilkin250r
05-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by jamesblown97

Originally posted by 395Rider
yeah, I noticed that also. once it warms up, then it a lot looser. I think that the plates get stuck together if it sits too long.

Mine is similar, but not the same.

Mine won't jump or move, but it does have enough grab that it won't start in gear with the clutch in. When it's cold, I have to start it in neutral, or else it won't start.

Once it warms up, it's fine. I can start in any gear, as long as the clutch is pulled in. But when it's cold, it only starts in neutral.