PDA

View Full Version : truck problems!!!

Sjorge450R
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
well i have yet another problem withmy truck.

Its a 4x4 87 dakota. The oil pan gasket is leaking. I just put some engine stop leak stuff in it today (not sure what stuff, i wa sjust furious that my oil was leaking (had the truck for 2 years, never once had a problem).

Is there anything else that i can do to slow down the leak until i have time to tear the whole front end off the truck to drop the oil pan???

Thanks
Steve

pro-rider46
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
maybe if you can get to the oil pan you can cock some RTV around the oil pan to stop it leaking for a while, idk how good this is of a idea but im just throwing them out there.

400exrider707
05-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Drain the oil out... it wont leak anymore.

Maybe put some silicone or something around it for temporary use?

toomeyshee87
05-11-2008, 11:00 PM
just replace the gasket... easy fix

rdw03400ex
05-12-2008, 05:52 AM
take the bolts off the motor mounts, jack the motor up and drop the pan. the pan does not need to come all the way out to change the gasket. if you jack the motor and and drop the pan you will be able to slide the gasket in, might be a little tight but should work. and try to find a 2 peice gasket will make it much easier.

KXRida
05-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
maybe if you can get to the oil pan you can cock some RTV around the oil pan to stop it leaking for a while, idk how good this is of a idea but im just throwing them out there.

Keep in mind rtv does not stick to oil, so make sure it is very clean to get a good seal on it. Yah my pan gasket was leaking in the ranger a while ago, so once the motor was out I put all new gaskets in (except one that didn't come in the kit and imagine that, it's leaking now) and all new freeze plugs. I just have to take my intake off later and put the new gasket in.

If you're planning on doing an in-truck fix, it might be a little tight, so make sure you take the time and do it right.

Mxjunkie
05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rdw03400ex
take the bolts off the motor mounts, jack the motor up and drop the pan. the pan does not need to come all the way out to change the gasket. if you jack the motor and and drop the pan you will be able to slide the gasket in, might be a little tight but should work. and try to find a 2 peice gasket will make it much easier.

If you go this route please make sure you secure the motor or else your going to loose both your hands. :blah:

Which 450?
05-12-2008, 02:50 PM
i bet money you can drop that oil pan without pullin the motor, i bet it will be a ***** with 4x4 tho... if it aint bad i wouldnt worry about it tho.

Sjorge450R
05-12-2008, 07:04 PM
well i drove about 50mi so far and still doing good. My oil pressure is spiked right now, but thats cause of the extra 3/4 qt in there.....oil level is good and hasnt moved. I have found a puddle under it, oh well.

OH and, there is NO way to change the gasket with the motor secured to the truck....impossible. You cannot even get to half of the bolts because of the other stuff in the way.

Which 450?
05-14-2008, 02:45 PM
your oil pressure shouldnt spike because of an extra 3/4 of a quart. but if it is the reason I would drain it out because you will be starting problems. What is the pressure when it is "spiked"?