PDA

View Full Version : smoking?

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
ok i just had my whole motor rebuilt. new cp 12:1 piston , headwork, cam , valves. well after i put it back in i putterd around for about a hour to let the rings seat. for about another hour the next day i rode hard the entire hour. today this moring it began to smoke a small bit , not alot , just barley noticable. by the end of the day. it smokes real bad . and i only rode it for about 2 hours max. i think the rings did not seat :ermm: any other possibliltys?

blasterfreak99
05-11-2008, 04:50 PM
it could be valve stem seals leaking, but id be willing to go with rings. when you break in a new top end, you need to start with the heat cycle:

start it up and let it idle for around ten minutes, occasionally blipping the throttle every few seconds. shut it off and let it COMPLETELY cool down and repeat four more times. then ride it around at 1/4 throttle for around fifteen minutes, let it cool completely down again and repeat two more times. next ride it around 1/2 throttle for around fifteen minutes and let it cool down completely again, repeat two more times. now comes the fun part lol. thrash its guts out at 3/4 to full throttle for around fifteen minutes, shut it off and then let it cool down completely, then repeat one more time. after that you should be ready to go.

however, it usually takes like 3-5 tanks of gas before it is fully broke in so give it some more time and it might stop smoking.

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 04:58 PM
ok well if i just start that process now do u think it would help? it smokes pretty bad . it doesn't smoke on idel. just when u hit the gas

blasterfreak99
05-11-2008, 05:30 PM
yea you can try it but im not positive itll help. and yea im almost positive that is the rings not sealed. do that ^^ and give it some time and it should quit smoking

05-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Did you rebuild it? If so did you deglaze the cylinder? Also putting around isn't the way to break it in. You need to ride it hard like you would normally ride. Warm it up and give it hell. Read this article.........

Break in procedure (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

4bidden
05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
You didn't do the work so take it back to whoever did. Something is definitely not right.

05-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
ok well if i just start that process now do u think it would help? it smokes pretty bad . it doesn't smoke on idel. just when u hit the gas

It won't help it's too late. You only get 1 chance to break it in.

Plus in my opinion that isn't the way to do it. The motoman way is the way to go.

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
yea i did all the work so theres no one to take it back to . we set the rings right and stuff when i put them in like the instuctions told me to do. i didn't really putter around just rode like normal , but didnt try to ride hard or anything. i did notice int he article it said no synthetic oil. i am using senthetic . so if i change oil will that help? i really dont want to put in new rings , 35 for gaskets and 30 for rings. so 70 buxs for screwing up i guess.

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 05:56 PM
i didn't deglaze the cylinder. i took it off. runa dn scrotch bight pad in it like 3 rounds, then put oil in it ( thin layer for piston to go in easyer) then put it back together

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 06:13 PM
it keeps getting worse, i started it for 10 mins and let it cool and hour than started it 10 mins and it smokes worse everytime. i'm get a pic. could it be the oil?

05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Did you plug one of the vent hoses into the carb? A lot of people do that by accident.

I deglazed my cylinder in warm soapy water with 220 sandpaper. Also get some assembly lube.

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 06:31 PM
not that i know of. i forgot i ran it up the side of a feild wide open in 5th gear the first day it was built that should have helped correct? ocourding to that article. i have ran it up that feild wide open in and out of gears like 10 times in the two hours its been running. i think its the oil. how would i have pluged a carb hose. and how could that have made it smoke?

05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
There is one big vent hose that comes up and get looped through the plastic piece under the tank. It is a common mistake to plug it into the carb. There is a nipple on the carb that is solid and it looks like it goes there and fits perfect. That will build up pressure in the crankcase because it can't vent and that will push the oil past the rings. Look for that hose and put some regular oil in it for 2 oil changes.

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
yea i re read your post and went and looked and i haven't pluged that hose into the carb. ok , so change the oil to regular and ride the crap out of it?

05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
You can try but I think the end result is you're going to have to take it back a part. You might want to tear it down now in case something is really wrong so you don't damage the cylinder

Good luck and keep us posted.

honda4life72
05-11-2008, 06:47 PM
well i'll try changing the oil and ride it for about a hour more and if it doesnt get better i will tear it back down. what gets me is that it isn't using any oil from the engine side atleast.

05-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Is the transmission oil going down? If so the seal on the crank that is on the clutch side is leaking. It can be changed without splitting the cases.

Take a vacation and bring it down to Florida. I'll help you out.

blasterfreak99
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
It won't help it's too late. You only get 1 chance to break it in.

Plus in my opinion that isn't the way to do it. The motoman way is the way to go.

that was just the break in procedure i got off of ct racing. when i break in my new top ends i just do the first heat cycle twice and then i ride the piss out of it and the reason why i told him that ^^ is because i figured ct racing would know more about breaking in engines than me ;)

anyways i hope you get this figured out! but id say your gonna have to tear it back down

honda4life72
05-13-2008, 02:12 PM
ok took the motor out , and well the piston had oil on top of it and the cylinder had oil in it to . looked threw the head and novalves are leaking or anything of that . so i orderd new rings

blasterfreak99
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM
well keep us updated! hope it works out for ya man

05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
ok took the motor out , and well the piston had oil on top of it and the cylinder had oil in it to . looked threw the head and novalves are leaking or anything of that . so i orderd new rings

Good Luck

You can do the top end with the motor still in the frame.

honda4life72
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
yea i know . but i'm proley switching out frames while i am fixing the motor