PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to clean inside cases?

two85atc250r's
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Does anybody if I can use carb cleaner to clean out the inside of my cases before I go to put it all back together? Or do I just need to use air? I had a piston explode and I only replaced the main bearings so I want to make sure everything is super clean before I put it all back together. Carb cleaner won't hurt the bearings or anything will it? Thanks

xlr810
05-11-2008, 02:46 PM
mineral spirits would be a better choice. (paint thinner)

400exrider989
05-11-2008, 05:28 PM
aircraft paint stripper, as long as there is nothing inside, plaster some on and let it sit, hose it off and spray with carb cleaner, hose off again and it comes out like new, no shiot

wilkin250r
05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Your best bet would be to make a cheap, makeshift parts cleaner.

Get a metal pan or bucket (if you want to go REALLY cheap you can use a disposable turkey pan) and mineral spirits like xlr810 said. But you want to go metal, because the mineral spirits can soften some types of plastic.

Metal pan, mineral spirits, and a plastic brush. You get the idea, throw some mineral spirits into the pan, and clean your cases. Don't pour ALL the mineral spirits into the pan, because when you're done scrubbing, you want some left to pour over your cases as a final clean rinse.

If you're never going to use it again, leave it outside (but somewhere pets cannot get to it) and let it evaporate.

05-12-2008, 01:24 AM
i just put my motor togther an put karo in it an started shaking it up lol worked good! but i think what wilkin250r said would work better if you had a piston blow up

two85atc250r's
05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Karo? what is that? You mean like the syrup? surely not. I never heard of that. But then, theres alot that I don't know. Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'll go with the mineral spirits. it won't hurt my bearings or seals will it?

86 Quad R
05-12-2008, 04:13 PM
i think he is referring to kerosene