PDA

View Full Version : What is the best reed setup?

gregw338
05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I am currently running V-force 3 trx250r reeds with my 330, I was wondering if I would get better performance with the CR250R V-force 3 reeds? I had heard that the cr reeds flow more air and are bigger than the trx reeds, is this true or are they the same? If the cr reeds are better do I need the cr intake manifold or will the stock trx manifold work? Do all cr reeds fit or is there a certain year model that works? Any input would be appreciated. thanks

CorvetteZ06
05-11-2008, 11:36 AM
i switched from v-force reeds to a Duncan pyramid, and I noticed a difference. The pyramid in my opinion felt much better and crisper. I have ran a stock cr250 reed cage with boyesen reeds, and i still think the pyramid reed valve is better. :D

312R1
05-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by CorvetteZ06
i switched from v-force reeds to a Duncan pyramid, and I noticed a difference. The pyramid in my opinion felt much better and crisper. I have ran a stock cr250 reed cage with boyesen reeds, and i still think the pyramid reed valve is better. :D

I agree 100%..To me, the pyramid is the best.

-Steve

CHAR250R
05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by CorvetteZ06

I ran the CR250 reed cage with Boyesen reeds, also. I now have the Duncan Pyramid set up. I noticed a difference, too. The throttle seems to be more crisp than the CR set up.

05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
i run the cr after market reeds

TheNewn
05-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Can you still buy the duncans anywhere?

All250R
05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Did you try duncaracing.com? last looked on their site they had it listed still.

I've never run it. I'd be curious to look at it. If anyone has any pics, that would be cool to see in side and look at the boot opening.

The v-force are nice concept cages, but they often need some work to compensate for bows and bends in the cage. I have a brand new delta3 CR cage and it shines light under almost every petal. mMy delta2 isn't as bad, but there is some correction needed.

I haven't run the ESR cage yet, but it's machined aluminum and the petal faces are nice and flat. They're expensive though.

The CR opening on the delta3 is very small. I think it's designed to fit the 2001 CR dimensions which to me from eye balling it look a little smaller than previous years. The center is stuffed with a fat divider futher shrinking cross sectional area. However, the flow dynamics of hte delta3 look like more work went into it than the delta2. The delta2 CR cage looks VERY different than the delta3 (if they sent me the correct one that is). It's identical to the TRX cage it looks like to me. I'd guess the delta3 is a better cage from a flow perspective than the delta2, however the CR version on that model is very tight. Some porting may be required if you're running high rpm applications or large displacement. Remember these cages are designed for 250cc bikes. I haven't put these cages side by side on the dyno yet which reduces speculation. I'd be interested in seeing the delta3 cage for the TRX if they made one. Since hte TRX boot is larger than the CR, it may need less done to it to flow higher rpm demands.

So far I like late 90's CR OEM cages too. Boot openings are always a tricky spot with cages, so it's nice that Honda designed the suffer as a seamless part of the boot itself. Flow-wise the CR cages are nice units. Bang for the buck looks good for a nice CR cage. Performance is good too.

By the way whoever thought the CR style is a bigger opening isn't correct. The TRX has a bigger cage and boot opening. A bigger hole does not automatically mean better performance. Common sense seems to think it does, but it's not always true. If it were, all manufacturers would do to amke sure their bikes were on the podium would be make the biggest holes possible. Honda made the CR opening smaller than the TRX.