PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think I may have messed up my engine

HondaRaceReady
05-10-2008, 08:55 PM
After a day of riding in the mud, I was powerwashing it with a plug in the exhaust pipe. Afterwards, I was trying to warm up the bike to dry it off some, but I forgot the plug was still in. Everyone here knows its hard to start a cold 400ex. I thought mine was warm, so I tried no choke, and it died after a second. Then I put on the full choke, tried it twice, and it died after 2 seconds both times. Then I put it on half choke, tried twice more. It ran for about 3-4 seconds both tries. And then I realized the plug was in. I pulled it out, and there was some soot on it. After a while the bike started on half choke, but did I damage my engine at all? I think if some serious pressure built up in the engine the plug would blow out, right? The bike is only 4 weeks old, so I doubt the exhaust could escape through any bad seals. As long as the spark plug doesn't blow out, it's ok, right?

drew416ex
05-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Your engine is fine. I dont know that it really could mess up anything doing that. All it does is kill it because the exhaust has nowhere to go.

tri5ron
05-10-2008, 09:48 PM
nothing to fear.
your bike is fine. no damage done.

sleep tight, and have happy dreams...

NacsMXer
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I agree your engine should be ok....you just momentarily asphyxiated the engine if you will. Might want to check the plug and see if it was fouled though.

my88r
05-13-2008, 09:04 PM
i have done that many times.:D now i tie a string from the plug to the handle bar.

red_rider_069
05-13-2008, 11:18 PM
yea.. np jsut check spark plug.. should start up in no time.. if all fails try bump start.. or i've done.. idk if it would do any ahrm.. if im wrong someone corect me:ermm: