PDA

View Full Version : Wiring question

Iliketogofast
05-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Okay I have a Clymer but the diagrams only show for two wires and I have three coming from my bottom end.

It's an 86 bottom with an 88 harness and electric. If anyone could sort this out for me I'll appreciate it: here goes...

I have the two fabric wrapped wires that go into one plastic connector and then I have a black/red and a yellow/white. I have a yellow/white on my harness so I think that goes there (to the lights?), but what is the black/red for? I don't have a clue.

Again, thanks for any insight.

And if anyone has a pic of the 88 wiring could you post it up so I can save it to my computer? My 88 wiring page has fallen out! Thanks again.

Aceman
05-10-2008, 07:16 PM
The wiring diagram for all years 86-89 is basically the same.

Yel/Wh lighting pwr to light switch
Blk/Rd ignition pwr to cdi

wilkin250r
05-11-2008, 01:53 AM
For some reason, I think the Clymer manual actually separates the "ignition" and the "lighting" into two different diagrams.

Does your wiring diagrams have lights and the CDI all on the same diagram?

To answer the rest of your question, the two wires wrapped in fabric are blue/yellow and green/white, and they are coming from your pulse generator. They don't have enough power to create the spark, it's just the "trigger" for the spark.

The black/red wire is the exciter coil. It provides the actual "power" for the spark. Although it is on the stator, it is completely separate from the power to your lights, it's not like a car where they are all tied together.

The yellow/white wire is the power for the lights.

The second page of this (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204311) thread will give you a complete wiring diagram for all years, taken from the genuine Honda service manual.

Iliketogofast
05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks a lot guys, got it all wired up and ready to go.

Wilkin, the wiring for lights and the wiring for ignition is indeed seperate I believe. You have to look at the electrical section in order to get the ignition part of the diagram.

I plan on ditching it soon for a genuine Honda manual.

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: After looking at it, I was missing the pulse generator. That diagram shown on page two of the linked thread is the same diagram in my manual. I was missing the pulse generator in the diagram, and was only looking at the two wires coming from the stator.