PDA

View Full Version : ball joint on 87 250x

embler
05-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm working on a friends 250x and I need some help with the ball joint. the cotter pin had come out and the castle nut loosened up about an inch up. the guy let it sit for a year or so outside with no cover (he isn't the brightest crayon in the pack). anyway, its rusted pretty bad and when I turn the nut, the whole shaft turns. is the ball joint replacable or should I be looking at getting another arm for it?

honda300EXtreme
05-10-2008, 07:59 PM
the ball joints are not replaceable,

you could always soak it with some pb blaster, and or heat it up,
and if all else fails,, time to do some cuttin' :devil:

embler
05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
that's what I was afraid of. I'm going to keep soaking it with some wd-40 and try to get the nut to come off. then I will be able to rethread it. if not, looks like a new arm will be on the menu

honda300EXtreme
05-10-2008, 08:36 PM
yea, i mean you can get a stock replacement a-arm off here for next to nothing, i have a set lying around somewhere, that i would sell for cheap,,

it make me wonder though, if its that tight and only like half way down, i wonder if someone might of cross threaded it? :confused:

JohnT_98300EX
05-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Here very shortly I will have a set of 300EX a arms that are in good working order. They will be both sides complete with hubs / rotor.
I also have a set of straight 400EX arms. 1 or 2 ball joint boots are bad and while the a arm bearings are good the outer "seal" or whatever they are are not there. I assume they could be replaced with what you remove from yours. They would be cheap. Like make me an offer cheap.

embler
05-11-2008, 01:34 PM
thanks guys. I will find out from the guy if he wants to put any money into it. it runs well but overall its in very poor condition. it needs new fenders all around (has no fronts and the backs aren't anything but duct tape), needs handlebars, tires....the list goes on.