PDA

View Full Version : broken bumper screw?

cron-ex
11-07-2001, 05:55 PM
last weekend i was trail riding and i was goin up this lil creek bank and wheeled out and when i came down i hit a tree. it bent the bumper. well today i was takeing the bumper off and noticed that it broke the head of one of the screws off. the screw part is still it, so how am i supposed to get it out?:confused:

kc 300EX
11-07-2001, 06:03 PM
you can "easy out" it, ive never done that, and am not totally sure how to do it

sooo, heres what we do: we just start with a small drill bit, and drill into the center of the boldt, when you are all the way through, go up a size on the drill bit, do that until you are so close to the threads the boldt literally crumples apart, Never had a problem doing it that way, but im sure you could manage to screw it up royally if youre not careful, Goodluck

trueblue450
11-07-2001, 08:09 PM
Same thing happend to me. The bolt sheared right off. It was wierd. Anyways if you do the crumble thing, you better drill it int he center first or it will mess up. Youll start messin up the thread before you get it all out. The way I did it was get a small flat head screw driver... reall small. then drill a hole about the size of the .. little bit smaller though. You dont have to drill in to far. Then get a happer and bang that screwdriver in there. Then once its nice and secure get yourself some vice grips and turn it out.. it should work pretty good.

400exRacerX
11-07-2001, 10:42 PM
E-z out it, use reverse threaded drill bits, or you can try and tap it.

11-09-2001, 04:51 PM
an ez-out will cost about 3 bucks at a hardware store. Get that and you can use it again if something like that happens.

cron-ex
11-11-2001, 06:06 PM
thanks, i used the ez out tonight and it came out real ez.. thanks for the idea