PDA

View Full Version : extended swingarm

ride red 14
05-09-2008, 06:32 PM
i have a +1 1/4 swingarm that i got off another bike and i was just wondering how many of you all have one? im putting it on my race bike and i race xc? wont that help keep the fron end on the ground? do you all like yours?

GPracer2500
05-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't think you'd want an extended swinger for any kind of riding where turning is critical [shrug]. They look cool and I'd do it on a duner--if I had enough power to warrant it (i.e. lots of power)--but otherwise I'd pass.

$0.02

REPOMAN
05-09-2008, 10:46 PM
i have one and it does help a little on keeping the front end down. i do alot of tight desert trail riding and it does not affect the ride in a negative way.

wilkin250r
05-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I wouldn't think you'd want an extended swinger for any kind of riding where turning is critical [shrug].

Actually, I think the +1 1/4 swinger was originally developed for the MX crowd. Not only does it help keep the front end down, but it creates a better swingarm angle to keep from breaking axles.

When you start getting into the long extensions, like +4, +6, and +10 range, they yes, they severely and adversely affect handling, they're pretty much strictly a drag racer.

But the +1 1/4 was originally developed for the racing crowd. I don't know how beneficial it would be for XC, because you don't have nearly as many hard landings that threaten to break axles, but you could certainly give it a shot.

ride red 14
05-10-2008, 06:26 AM
thanks guys the reason i have it is because we do alot of hills also and i thought that if i had a longer arm that it would help out on keeping the front end down. I was looking and saw that the +1 1/4 was for mx thats why i was wondering if it would be ok to run with xc

coryatver
05-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I have a +1.25 houser on my 400 and I race XC and it works fine. Its not a huge difference but you can tell it keeps the front end down a little more. The bad thing about it is that it decreases the turning radius a little.

Wheelie
05-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I've got a +1 1/4 on mine, and it makes a very noticable difference. It helps tame the front end (IMO, a +1 1/4 is a Must on a modded EX), the quad rides and handles better, and the turning radius difference is barely noticable.

I love mine and wish I would've done it sooner.

ride red 14
05-10-2008, 08:03 PM
ok cool i was hoping i wasnt going to regret puttin it on there. I wouldnt think that the turning would be to bad. Another thing im kinda worried about it i love to ride wheelies. can you still ride them with that swinger?

Wheelie
05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I didn't notice any difference in the balance point for wheelies. Aside from the front end being harder to pull up, there isn't any difference.