PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake?

kilgoja
05-09-2008, 05:13 PM
ok maybe some of you can help me with figuring out this parking brake adjustment....it was working fine then it stopped working so i tightened the screw down in the back by the back brake....then it worked fine for awhile but then it stopped working again.....so i tried to adjust it again and broke the bolt off...lol....just wondering why it keeps getting loose...it seems like if it's tight enough then it's too tight and you can't get it to disengage and if you loosen it a bit then it's too loose to work right......i tried to adjust it up by the clutch lever but that didn't seem to help much....anyways i gotta go buy a new bolt...so any tips or advice on the parking brake would be nice...thanks

05-09-2008, 06:32 PM
that is a problem with them...take it off and get a block off plate...the p-brake is useless and worthless...as it is, it will wear your brakes 5 times as fast

kilgoja
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
ok...that's an idea...where do i get a block off plate?

tri5ron
05-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by kilgoja
ok...that's an idea...where do i get a block off plate?

Ebay.
You can get just the plate, or a plate and clutch lever w/ single perch combo.

kilgoja
05-09-2008, 10:45 PM
i found several plates on denniskirk.com...i got the worksconnection one.....more expensive but it comes with bolts and an o-ring seal....plus i like the way it looks...lol...thx for the help guys

http://i27.tinypic.com/315o0fd.jpg

dpizz450
05-10-2008, 10:42 AM
yeah deff take that hunk of junk that they call a parking brake off! they NEVER work on any sport quads. the last 2-3 ive owned, all been brand new and none of them ever worked from the factory. i think they just have to put them on there to maybe meet some kinda safety specs, ya know?

kilgoja
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
ok...just wondering what some of you that have done this did for the clutch lever perch.....i mean u could still use the stock clutch lever but just get a smaller perch right?....also i noticed that the starter/light switch thing seems to be grounded to the stock perch....what did you guys do about that?...just looking for ideas...right now i'm just leaving the big perch on there but i did take the cable off...any pics would be cool too

hornetgod13
05-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Lots of people, including myself, go with a smaller clutch perch and remove the park brake cable as well. The two wires on the clutch safety switch need to be spliced together in order for the quad to be able to start in gear. If you don't connect them than you'll have to shift it to neutral every time you want to start it.

kilgoja
05-12-2008, 11:04 AM
ok that's what those wires are for....that asv lever looks really nice....bet that wasn't cheap...lol

05-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by kilgoja
ok that's what those wires are for....that asv lever looks really nice....bet that wasn't cheap...lol

luckily for me I have a sponsorship with ASV Inventions... booyah! lol

TRXRacer1
05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
I took out the parking brake and still use the stock perch. All I did was make a spacer for where the p-brake mechanism used to be.

jrafter
05-12-2008, 07:28 PM
you should also check your pads......ive never seen a bike go through pads like my 400 and i never use the back brake

Speedy 400ex
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Ebay has ASV levers that were refurbshed(by asv) for cheep, some of them are going for 25 bucks.

red_rider_069
05-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by jrafter
you should also check your pads......ive never seen a bike go through pads like my 400 and i never use the back brake i agree.. stupid brake nvr worked haha.. i adjusted it like crazy too.. and it jsut wore down my brake pads.. so if you dont want block off plate you could jsut keep it loose.. thats what i did atleast..:macho

madmax400ex
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Also make sure when you buy your parking brake block off you get one with a o-ring with it. I've read alot of ppl having trouble with ones that don't have a o-ring with them leak. I have a TUSK with a o-ring brand new 15 bucks.
I bought a MSR clutch lever brand new from rocky mountain atv for 30 bucks, and it looks and works awesome IMO.

jrafter
05-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by madmax400ex
Also make sure when you buy your parking brake block off you get one with a o-ring with it. I've read alot of ppl having trouble with ones that don't have a o-ring with them leak. I have a TUSK with a o-ring brand new 15 bucks.
I bought a MSR clutch lever brand new from rocky mountain atv for 30 bucks, and it looks and works awesome IMO.

yep i have one with no o-ring ....had to fill it full pf grease to keep the dirt out

Speedy 400ex
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
thay make a gasket sheets that u can buy at almost any auto patrs store u can make a gasket out of that. What about RTV has any one used that?

kilgoja
06-30-2008, 03:29 PM
ok i got this works connection ez adjust perch and lever at www.motosport.com for $89.99...it was easy to install no problems whatsoever...and it looks alot cleaner now and works perfectly

kilgoja
06-30-2008, 03:47 PM
a few pics of the finished project...

kilgoja
06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
pic 2

kilgoja
06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
pic 3

hornetgod13
06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Looks nice. Good job! :macho

rideracelivemx7
06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
meh i didnt feel like buying a block off plate so i used the stock plate. and chisled off the line hold and filled it with jb weld and made it look nice. does the job and its cheap.

uchi
05-31-2009, 09:23 PM
maybe its been mentioned, but whats the benefit of removing the parking brake and putting on the block off plate? i bought my 400 and someone had yanked the cable off already. if its purely for looks then theres no real benefit to it.

BEAVER.989
06-01-2009, 07:51 AM
It saves a little weight and allows for a cleaner look, but the biggest functional advantage is that it increases rear brake life.

uchi
06-01-2009, 07:53 AM
How does it save the pads? I'm curious because I can see it sticking if you use the parking brake but if its disconnected and not engaging the brakes thenit shouldn't affect pad life at all.

Originally posted by BEAVER.989
It saves a little weight and allows for a cleaner look, but the biggest functional advantage is that it increases rear brake life.