PDA

View Full Version : Valves?

madmax400ex
05-09-2008, 08:29 AM
How do you know when you need to adjust the valves?
I have read a lot of ppl talking about adjusting the valves, but how do you know when you need to?

Mercedes
05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
How long as it been since you have adjusted your valves? Since its very easy to do on a 400ex I do mine every 3 months about. Some people do it every 6 months.

If your not sure then just adjust them its so simple on a honda.

madmax400ex
05-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Wow, thanks. I just bought it a year ago, and i would guess the original owner never did it, so it probably has never been done. Do you know if there's a thread on adjustments, i couldn't find one. Thanks again.

hypersnyper6947
05-11-2008, 07:51 PM
yea seriously how do you adjust your valves

kilgoja
05-11-2008, 08:59 PM
yeah people say to do that but it's not as necessary on the 400ex as it is on a 450....i've never done mine...still runs just as good as it did when brand new a year ago

05-11-2008, 09:04 PM
so you think. when valve arent in spec you may not notice a power lose because you were losing it over a period of time. I know how much more power you get when you put your valves back in spec. Its quite a difference if they are off too much. If its just a little bit loose you wont really notice much but when it gets even looser than you adjust them you can feel more power and it runs better. I do my valves more frequently now keeping the power up and everything running good. Once you do it and you understand how it because so simple you can do it quicker than the time of cleaner your airfilter, letting it air dry and oiling it. Its really easy once you do it.

heres a valve adjustment how to:

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html