PDA

View Full Version : little OT-Riding boots question...

troybilt
05-09-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm gonna sound like a schmo here, but does anyone know how to break in a new pair of riding boots? This is my first pair and I can hardly walk in them, feel like ski boots.

mcwilly
05-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I've heard to stand in a tub full of water. :confused:
I have never personally done it, but I've heard it more than once. Took about a month for my boots (O'neils) to break in to the point where I can walk comfortably....

atvmxr
05-09-2008, 11:57 AM
just wear them alot, walking around the house, yard, and etc. use leather oil on them. use your hands and flex the soles back and forth.

also a tub of water is a bad idea IMHO, the water would flush the oil out of the leather and make them even stiffer.....

jamesblown97
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
wear them every chance you get mowing the yard groceryshopping anything and keep them oiled up and flex them with your hands as much as possible. thats what i do but my buddy oils them very good and runs them over with his car and he swears by it but ive had good luck with my way

Aceman
05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
I'm gonna sound like a schmo here, but does anyone know how to break in a new pair of riding boots? This is my first pair and I can hardly walk in them, feel like ski boots.

This sounds like the new Gaerne's I just bought!:p

ballzdeep38
05-10-2008, 11:28 AM
What kind of boots are you using? i used to sell mx apparel for a few years and some boots are never going to feel comfortable (fly, some oneals, etc.) I have tech 4's and love them. unfortunatley they stopped making them to make the tech 3 which is NOT as comfortable. but what i did was wear them for about 20 min a day squating and purposley tried to stretch the leather. then for the first ride i make sure the buckles are really tight (almost to the point of being painful). this makes the leather stretch and break in around your ankle. then you can loosen them up to be more comfortable. one thing to remember is if they feel like your favorite pair of high tops then they are worn out and wont do their job when you need them too. they are they are protective equipment, not comfort shoes.

05-11-2008, 02:35 AM
i just ride in mine an bend them an stuff

troybilt
05-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ballzdeep38
What kind of boots are you using? i used to sell mx apparel for a few years and some boots are never going to feel comfortable (fly, some oneals, etc.) I have tech 4's and love them. unfortunatley they stopped making them to make the tech 3 which is NOT as comfortable. but what i did was wear them for about 20 min a day squating and purposley tried to stretch the leather. then for the first ride i make sure the buckles are really tight (almost to the point of being painful). this makes the leather stretch and break in around your ankle. then you can loosen them up to be more comfortable. one thing to remember is if they feel like your favorite pair of high tops then they are worn out and wont do their job when you need them too. they are they are protective equipment, not comfort shoes.

I have the Corona A.R.C boots. They were a little cheaper, for my first pair, I wasn't sure how I would like them. I rode last weekend for the first time with them, and they were a really stiff to shift and use the brake. I do like the feeling of my ankles being secure, especially for jumping. I know alot of riders that I ride with use them and swear by them, I think once they are broke it they'll be great.

ballzdeep38
05-11-2008, 09:43 AM
yeah if you have been riding without boots and just got your first pair you will notice a huge difference. i know those ARC boots are realativley new and i havent tried a pair myself. one thing to remember is that when you wear boots it is a little tougher to flex your ankle in, but because of the thicker sole and taller more rigid toe box you dont have to move it as far to activate the brake or up shift. try breaking them in around the house before you next riding trip and they will feel better. if you feel like they are just terrible try on some of the more "comfortable" boots SIDI Crossfires, SIDI Discovery, Gaerne SG10, Aplinestars Tech 4 (if you can find them). These will probabbly be quite a bit more money but all the ones i listed are VERY comfortable.

mxduner
05-12-2008, 03:59 PM
not to steal this thread, but, how do you guys keep from burning your boots on the exhaust pipe? i come from bikes and i will reassure you that boots are the way to go. just give em time.