PDA

View Full Version : 400EX or a dirt bike?

Chris102371
05-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Well I was all set to go get 400ex by the end of this year. (I hope). Until I went with some friends riding a couple of weeks ago. I rode my buddies 400ex and they were on 450r's. We went to a place here in NC called Brushy mountain motor sports park. It's hilly and some rough sections I thought, anyway. This was my first time riding a 4 wheeler. I thought I was gonna die by the time we got done. My endurance just sucks and I faded pretty quick. Now I'm wondering if I should go back to a dirt bike or still get the 400. I've had 2 dirt bikes in the past but never really got to ride them that much. I was leaning towards a 4 wheeler because I thought it might be safer than dirt bike. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

badk1dizsik
05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
quads > dirtbikes

my88r
05-08-2008, 09:57 PM
i guess which one do you like the best. i like riding both.:D

BigRed44
05-09-2008, 07:26 AM
It all depends on what you're used to. I've been riding quads most of my life and just got my first dirtbike about a month ago. It seems that my endurance dies out pretty quick on the bike but i can ride all day on the quad and be fine. I do however think that a quad is safer but dirtbikes are a lot of fun too. Thats a tough choice to make which is why i got both. Good luck to ya.

imc188222
05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I like riding both. They each have their advantages in different terrain. I think that riding a dirt bike is alot more draining than riding a quad. I know that I get arm pump alot faster on my dirt bike. Also, if you are riding aggressively, a dirt bike is safer than a quad. A quad is alot heavier and does alot more damage when it lands on you. A quad will not handle rough terrain like a dirt bike will, alot more of the trail affects it due to its stance. just my 2 cents

XXXRACER165
05-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Get one of these bad boys

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/XXXRacer165/ServiceHondaKX500AF.jpg

Service Honda KX500AF. They haul @$$

my88r
05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Get one of these bad boys

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/XXXRacer165/ServiceHondaKX500AF.jpg

Service Honda KX500AF. They haul @$$

why do you have one??:D

DementeD
05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I pretty much agree with the IMC
i definitely think riding a atv is more dangerous then a dirt bike
i grew up on dirtbikes and well its been a while since ive rode an atv ..i just got my first 400ex about two months ago..
it wears me out pretty fast compared to what i remember of the dirt bike..but i havent rode in years so..maybe its just that..

i definitely feel like the quad is easier to wreck and will definitely hurt a lot worse.

i use to climb steep hills on my old dirt bike no problem..and if there was..lay it over..itll normally stick into the ground and wont go tumblin down the hill like a quad will..also i think its easier to jump balance wise..

when u get tired on a quad..turn it off sit there and enjoy the surroundings..when u get tired on a dirtbike..well..i guess u can lean it up against a tree and sit on the ground for a while but thats not comfortable..
also i feel more at ease riding the 400ex..like u can putt arond on it and its as fun as haulin *** on it..

dirt bike i feel like i have to be haulin *** at all times to have fun..thats just me..

if i were to have to pick again..id still get a 400ex..
but i do say i want a bike for here n there times so my girl can ride the quad and i can do something stupid on the bike :D

05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by badk1dizsik
quads > dirtbikes
x2 lol smaller turdbikes are fun to mess around on but to ride 1 all the time I wouldnt.

XXXRACER165
05-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by my88r
why do you have one??:D

:uhoh: maybe

03mach
05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
either a 450 quad or a dirtbike, dont waste time on a 400. IMO.

coryatver
05-10-2008, 07:37 AM
If you riding buddies have quads get a quad, if they ride bikes get a bike. Its more fun if your riding what they are.

my88r
05-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 03mach
either a 450 quad or a dirtbike, dont waste time on a 400. IMO.

400exs are not a waste. you will be doing alot of maintenance on a 450.:eek:

burnthesnikle
05-10-2008, 01:44 PM
no s h ! T...

my88r
05-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by burnthesnikle
no s h ! T...

:huh

burnthesnikle
05-10-2008, 02:34 PM
:huh

oh i screwed up meant to go with that 400ex aren't a waste from post before

03mach
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
400exs are not a waste. you will be doing alot of maintenance on a 450.:eek:

yeah i know, my buddy has blown his 450 up a few times. and friends with 400s running just as hard havnt.

TRXRacer1
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 03mach
yeah i know, my buddy has blown his 450 up a few times. and friends with 400s running just as hard havnt. If you have a buddy that has blown up a 450 a few times then there's a 99.99% chance that he's doing something wrong..... :eek2:

Chris, you posted on a quad forum asking which type of machine to get. I'm not a professional or anything but that might mean you're fishing for positive reinforcement on getting a quad. If it's what you want then get one. If you feel more at home on a bike then get a bike. It's purely a personal choice.

Chris102371
05-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I will eventually decide on one. I have some time before i am going to buy one.

GPracer2500
05-12-2008, 12:02 AM
get both :D

GPracer2500
05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
or split the difference and get a three wheeler :D :D

kilgoja
05-12-2008, 12:04 AM
no way a bike is safer than a quad...although alot of people tend to say that....maybe they just don't know how to ride a quad...i dunno...i've had both...and a three wheeler as well.....i had more accidents on my bike than on either the 3 or 4 wheels...it's just easier to crash on a bike ....unless ur just riding in a straight line or something.....maybe it's cuz bikes go faster and jump higher than quads....so that equals more chance of a serious injury....main thing is you just gotta know your limits ..but from my experience...many wrecks on a bike...including a broken wrist.....and like maybe 2 wrecks on a quad nothing serious....like popping a wheelie too far and falling off the back...lol

TRXRacer1
05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by kilgoja
no way a bike is safer than a quad...although alot of people tend to say that....maybe they just don't know how to ride a quad... I'm guessing you don't know how to ride a bike.......:rolleyes:

bigH
05-12-2008, 05:14 PM
a well built 400ex thats piped,bored new cams and other mods can take a light modded 450 with a pipe but once a 450 continue to be modded only a 460 and up stroker ex has any chance what so ever....in the long run a i love my 416 but ill never have a faster bike then my dad's 450r. as far as trails a 400ex is alot easier to use and more fun.

bigH
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM
get a 4 wheeler over the dirtbike though

bigH
05-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I'm guessing you don't know how to ride a bike.......:rolleyes:

i prefer 4 quads in rutty areas and rocky areas but for a hill climb if u mess up u can lay the dirt down on its side instead of having a 360lb quad land on you.

kilgoja
05-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm guessing you don't know how to ride a bike.......:rolleyes:

tell that to travis pastrana who has broken over 200 bones from dirtbike crashes!....lol

mcwilly
05-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I've had both. I grew up w/ dirtbikes, but always wanted a quad. Now that I have one, I prefer it MUCH better than a dirtbike. Dont get me wrong, dirtbikes are fun as hell. I just feel more 'stable' on a quad. As stated before, it's all a matter of choice.
Besides, it sounds like your friends let you ride their bikes anyway....so get the quad and ride one of their bikes when you want a change of scenery. :D

maxfior
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I guess I might as well throw in my $0.02. I've been riding for years... Still have my old 250 2-stroke a few 3wheelers, banshee, 400ex, play bikes, trails bikes, etc. Hands down, a dirt bike is safer then a quad. You'll know this when you need to bail or come up short on a jump (casing it). When you try and act pro on a quad, BAD things will happen. IMO, I feel that if you are comfortable on a bike you'll have more fun on it. For some odd reason, my 250 feels so planted and safe... Jumping, trail riding or light moto (since the suspension sucks way back then) I just feel like I can do more on my bike. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my EX too and have fun jumping it and what not, it's good in the trails and is pretty much bullet proof if you do maintenance and don't neglect it like most morons do... I think it really comes down to knowing your limits. People are going to give you MANY different opinions (bike vs. quad) but it will come down to what you think is right for you. I know that when I look at a larger jump on my 400 I just remind myself of the quads limits, what would happen if I come up short, what would happen if I over shoot, etc. If you can (depending on cash flow) it's nice to have options. I love being able to bust out the 200s and just hammer it, rip fast through trails on the 400EX or just bang gears on the 250. It's nice to have some options... Just my $0.02. Whatever you do, just be safe man and have fun! :)

Max

TRXRacer1
05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by kilgoja
tell that to travis pastrana who has broken over 200 bones from dirtbike crashes!....lol LMAO, I don't think the amount of wheels under him has anything to do with how many times that dude has crashed!

red_rider_069
05-13-2008, 11:24 PM
i think dirts bikes are awsoem and quads too! but it depends what you like riding.. like the area.. for sand and trails i like quads but for ms tracks and hill climbing i lean moretwoard dirtbikes.... i plan on gett crf250r soon so.. try someting new geta atv and wait a while n save up for a dirtbike..:macho

my88r
05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
i think dirts bikes are awsoem and quads too! but it depends what you like riding.. like the area.. for sand and trails i like quads but for ms tracks and hill climbing i lean moretwoard dirtbikes.... i plan on gett crf250r soon so.. try someting new geta atv and wait a while n save up for a dirtbike..:macho

USE SPELL CHECK
:grr:

redrider57
05-20-2008, 08:31 AM
I am not sure if your endurance would be better on a dirtbike. IMO dirtbikes are a little more work. But the 400 is a solid machine and you will definitely be happy with it.

red_rider_069
05-20-2008, 09:35 AM
USE SPELL CHECK
:grr: is that really needed?:confused:

kilgoja
05-21-2008, 04:46 PM
LMAO, I don't think the amount of wheels under him has anything to do with how many times that dude has crashed!

um....yeah... ok i think you got a point there....haha

for the other guy:

double jumps(shaped like the letter M)that are far apart and are made for dirtbikes= death jump for an atv...lol

table top jumps=safe for an atv...if u come up short no biggie

like the other guy said...u gotta know the limits of urself and ur machine no matter what your riding.....

you gotta use your head...most of these mx tracks at these riding places are designed for dirtbikes....very few are good for atvs...like i went to durhamtown the other weekend...they have like 8 mx tracks...only 1 was really made for atv jumping (safely)lol

kinda bums me out sometimes...the redlands...now that was a fun experience...lol

hypersnyper6947
05-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I dont know about you guys but every time i get on a dirtbike I feel like im going to kill myself. Especially my step dads 06' cr250. I stick to 4 wheels, i just grew up riding them.

rodeo#11
05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
I see it like this whatever you feel more comfortable on go for that. lol Ive rode brushy mtn many a times and its def. a rough place and stamina is key there. As far as safety goes, atv's are a lil harder to get away from when ya flip them. But just do what feels best for you. (if you do get a dirtbike arm pump will kill ya lol)