PDA

View Full Version : Did the Dynatek ignition blow up my engine?

Nate Dogg #76
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
The connecting rod blew out the front of my engine. It is an 04 with the HRC kit and non programmable ignition. The HRC kit was installed when I bought the bike new back in October of 04. The Dynatek is only about 3 months old with maybe 4hrs run time on the quad. Did the Dynatek cause this? The cases,crank,cylinder and piston is junk now$$$$$$$$$$thanks for any input

IOWAracer
05-08-2008, 08:47 PM
really no way to be positive till completely torn into but i would bet your crank bearing went out causeing the problems

BB

BadinBlack
05-08-2008, 09:15 PM
no way! ignition would mess up valves and stuff but not a crank.

Nate Dogg #76
05-09-2008, 04:41 AM
The mechanic that tore it apart said the crank bearings was not the cause. I think the higher rpm from the Dynatek caused the rod to let go.

nicko-31
05-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Nate Dogg #76
The mechanic that tore it apart said the crank bearings was not the cause. I think the higher rpm from the Dynatek caused the rod to let go. That is why I have learned to not go overboard with my newest quad,I just have mostly bolt on,It's no good to me to be 2 full quad lengths faster than the next guy if It's going to cause too many problems,Also don't forget,modern 4 strokes rev high to begin with.Has the motor been gone through lately?? It is going on four years in which case it lasted quite a while.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-09-2008, 08:43 AM
I would say it had more to do with the age of your motor. A four year old 450 motor with any kind of time on it is a ticking time bomb. I am sure it was going to happen the increased RPM just made it happen a little sooner :(

BadinBlack
05-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I would say it had more to do with the age of your motor. A four year old 450 motor with any kind of time on it is a ticking time bomb. I am sure it was going to happen the increased RPM just made it happen a little sooner :(
i agree, what would have been doing is cutting my oil filters open to check for metal shavings after every oil change. best way to get a heads up on your crank failing.

gcart2
05-11-2008, 08:37 AM
it was a 04 motor really you should have freshened it up before you put any mods on it. we dont even change the piston compression unless we replace the crank.

bloodmoney23
05-11-2008, 01:13 PM
not only that, the Dynatek non-programmable is junk and maybe if you are lucky you only got 100-300 more RPM's. I am going to be safe and say it was just your motor being old. If i dont change the crank in mine soon im going to be posting that same picture. And for future purposes. I actually lost 1.2 HP with the non programable dynatek. Got it back when i went back to stock.

Nate Dogg #76
05-11-2008, 06:24 PM
My engine did not need a "freshened up". Believe it or not it only had about 10 to 15hrs on it. This thing sat for over a year while I was injured and recovering from knee surgery. The quad was maintained properly by a certified Honda mechanic. Honda is fixing it for free because it was still under the extended warranty. Ofcoarse, I didn't tell them about the Dynatek. This pic was taken 10 min before the motor was pulled. Does it look like an old beat up quad?

bloodmoney23
05-12-2008, 07:52 AM
yep looks like an old beat up quad. lol JK. Im just saying i dont think it is possible for the DynaTek to be your cause if it was the non-programmable one. Not only that, the only way it will do that is 1. your crank bearing failed 2. Your piston seized 3. your rod snapped. or 4. one of the above. But it is good to see that Honda is actually covering it for ya, thats an odd story to hear that Honda will actually fix something. And with the Dynatek I aint gonna say nothing if you wont. lol. Good luck and hope to see ya back on it soon.

yz426ex36
05-14-2008, 06:42 PM
just my opinion..... I do not believ anyone should run a rev box that gives you more rpms unless you have HD valve springs... I have seen motors gernage like that several times because of that same thing... I run a stock rev box on my practice bike and stock curve with more rpm on my race quad

05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by yz426ex36
just my opinion..... I do not believ anyone should run a rev box that gives you more rpms unless you have HD valve springs... I have seen motors gernage like that several times because of that same thing... I run a stock rev box on my practice bike and stock curve with more rpm on my race quad

i agree there is a rev limiter for a reason. Honda's engineers arent stupid they know what the motor can handle and what it can't. They put a rev limiter on stock because it is the safe limit for the motor to rev with out putting extra stress on everything. Extra RPM's just make everything work harder and faster than it should. Ignition timing is fine and that wouldnt cause it to do that. I think the extra RPM just wore the motor out more