PDA

View Full Version : head pipe insert.

MTDman11
05-08-2008, 07:46 PM
ok i dont no wat it is called but i remember someone saying something. it was something described as like a thing you insert into the head pipe an it gives you more power. anyone ever hear of this?

yfzfelix
05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I believe your talking about a torque tube

MTDman11
05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
whats a tourque tube?

GPracer2500
05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
It's a sleeve that fits into the headpipe where it bolts to the engine. It's purpose is to reduce the inside diameter of the pipe. The idea is that by reducing the headpipe diameter you increase the velocity of the exhaust gas and increase the scavenging of gases out of the engine.

MTDman11
05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
i researched tourque tube it it was sometin like car tourque tube axels.

GPracer2500
05-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by MTDman11
i researched tourque tube it it was sometin like car tourque tube axels.

That's a different kind of torque tube.

wilkin250r
05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Such a device would really only be beneficial if you had an entire packaged designed and dedicated to a specific power range/riding style.

A smaller pipe diameter would give you better exhaust velocity at low RPMs, and thus better power at low RPMs. This is great for coming out of corners on a track, and areas where you are rarely at WOT 5th gear.

But you would need a camshaft that is also designed for low RPM power and torque, the two would compliment each other and give you good power in your desired power range.

But those same aspects that would boost your low RPM power are going to hurt your top end and peak horsepower. So you certainly wouldn't want a high-rev camshaft and a torque tube together, the two would be fighting each other. You wouldn't get the best of both worlds, you'd just get garbage everywhere.

yfzfelix
05-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I have one for the pulsecharger exhaust on my 450r and have had it in and out a number or times and there is a difference, I think if I just rode trails I would leave it in but I really like my bike better without it in when I'm in the sand, I really need to get my quad on a dyno and test it so I can see on paper where it benifits my quad with my mods