PDA

View Full Version : motors

Hansen_23
05-08-2008, 04:00 PM
how much can a honda 300 take??(horsepower)

and wht should i put on it to enhance the performance?

reconranger
05-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Strat with the standard stuff, like opening up the airbox, an aftermarket air filter (UNI), and an aftermarket muffler....and of course a rejet!

This machine is so old, I don't think it will be worth pumping any significant amount of money into it.

Hansen_23
05-18-2008, 01:38 PM
wht the is an air box?

joebiker
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
The airbox is the plastic box that is located under your seat that the air filter is in...If you open it up and put in an unrestricted air filter like a UNI or a K&N, re-jet the carberettor and install an unrestricted (read) loud exhaust, you will up your horse power and torque levels by as much a 1 or 2% (about 1/3 to 1/2 horse power)..but in reality, unless the system is properly balanced, it will cost you performance and efficiency as well as horse power..It will sound louder (duh) and you will think it performs oh so much better than it did (since you just invested $300 to $400)
:(

Here's the truth...Change your oil to synthetic, change your filter as well and do not lengthen your service intervals. put a new spark plug in it, add a new clean air filter (your choice, but remember, the more unrestricted the air filter, the more likely you are to end up burning your valves and scoring your cylinder walls due to dirt in the combustion chamber, and add 1 oz of carb cleaner and run the darn thing knowing that you just saved $300 and it runs better than it has in a long time, ...and will continue to do so for a lot longer than it would with all the "performance mods" that everyone raves about.:)

Those of you who doubt the sanity of these ideas, be careful...I have been a mechanic of motorcycles for long enough, and have recorded more miles on each of my last 5 bikes than most will accumulate in their lifetimes.
My last 5 bikes are as listed for mileage...1978 Honda Goldwing 316,000, 1984 Honda Goldwing 134,000..1987 Honda Goldwing 128,000...1991 Harley Davidson Ultra 155,000, and a 1989 Honda, 78,000..so far...all without any motor work what so ever, no replacement clutches or transmissions..LOTS and LOTS of oil changes and filters, LOTS of STOCK air filters, and a yard full of tires and brakes. I have repaired enough performance enhanced bikes in that time to afford to ride my bikes that far.. :D