PDA

View Full Version : Pressing sprocket hub onto axle

TRX250X
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I bought a LSR axle and sprocket hub used off of here, called LSR and got a new clip and spacer. I also have access to a press. I just wondered if someone who has done it could tell me the correct way to press the sprocket hub onto the axle, and any secrets to it.

Thanks

Reticle
05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I have never tried it, but I know they do it to insert valve seats and get other press fit pieces together. Place the axle in a freezer overnight then heat up the hub in the oven till it's good and hot. Try dropping it on and see what happens. maybe even have a piece of pipe handy that you can slip over the axle to tap the hub into place. Worse case scenario, you take it to a machine shop and they press it the rest of the way on.

Just my $.02

TRX250X
05-10-2008, 05:28 AM
The sprocket hub will slide over the axle easily. There is a ring or clip that fits around the splines on the axle, and I don't know if the hub just presses up against it, or is supposed to be pressed over it.

ohsobad_chevy
05-11-2008, 09:11 AM
It is just supposed to be pressed up against it, not over it. ;)

TRX250X
05-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Yep, took a closer look at it yesterday and realized how the thing went together and that the hub is supposed to fit tight on the axle splines. got the rear end put together. Now time to find tires and get the engine rebuilt.