PDA

View Full Version : Paint on motor

Fear250r
05-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Ok, I've got a black frame and thinking I don't want the motor to be black. Anybody have any tips/tricks on getting the old stuff off? Trying to get the aluminum look to break up the black. Is blasting it ok or should something else be done? Thanks

two85atc250r's
05-08-2008, 07:08 AM
I have heard of spraying them with aircraft paint remover and then polishing them with mother's or any other aluminum polish. I have never tried it myself but have seen some that turned out really nice that were done that way. I don't really know about blasting them, that may work as well.

bushwesl
05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
You can blast them. Although, you have to choose an appropriate blasting media. I know that a member from here, x.system, had his entire engine soda blasted and it turned out real nice.

BKex
05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
here's mine i did with paint stripper and a wire brush. some paint is still there where its hard to get to.

Aceman
05-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I glass beaded mine and it took that factory black paint off like it was nothing.;)

Fear250r
05-08-2008, 06:12 PM
BKex, that's exactly what I'm going for. You're motor looks great. Any particular paint stripper? I'd like to go this route since there are still bearing in the bottom end and don't want to blast it. Thanks guys

Dave83
05-08-2008, 08:49 PM
If there is a Wal-Mart near you,they carry some stuff called "Aircraft Remover".Light blue can with a jet on it.It is in the automotive section.You will also need to find a wire brush for a cordless drill.Get a fine one,it will not gouge the cases if you get carried away.The remover works good in places,but the factory paint can be stubborn and the wire wheel brush takes care of that.

BKex
05-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I used some kind of aircraft stripper for mine cant remember what brand but whatever you get should work fine.

I did it out in the sun, heat seems to make it work a little better. But i just let it sit on the cases for 15 mins hit with a wire brush and tooth brush and the paint comes right off, i did this a couple times to get it all then hit it with a power washer.
I also had the factory paint on it with another couple coats of paint over that.

and don't get the stripper on your skin it will start to burn pretty quick

05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
spray it with the aircraft stuff then hit it with the heat gun:devil:

it will come right off

yamahay
05-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Find someone who can blast it with dry ice or walnut shell media. The CO2(dry ice) is the best as it leaves absolutely zero residue it simply breaks down from a solid to a gas after blasting the paint off. The bulk gas distributors would be a good place to start in your search for someone that does it. You may even be able to rent the equipment and do it yourself.