PDA

View Full Version : CDL "B" Licence -What to study for??

OutlawEX
05-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Well I recently came accross a union job offering a nice hunk of money that I cant refuse. However before I can start I must get my CDL B license. I was wondering if any of you have info on what I need to study for before i take my written test. Any help would be appreciated

my88r
05-08-2008, 12:01 AM
B is for the air brake license rite. for driving fork lifts etc.

Pappy
05-08-2008, 01:12 AM
The written test isnt to bad at all, its the pre trip that most usually fail.

cmanningjr
05-08-2008, 05:22 AM
A "B" license is being able to drive a truck without a trailer.

All you should have to study for the written test is General knowledge. I'm not positive but I think "Air Brake" is not required BUT it would benefit you in the future to go ahead and have it on your license.

As long as you are doing it, there is only one more test with about 25 questions on it for "Combination". That would give you a Class "A" CDL. You will be more valuable in the future.

There are places on the Internet that sell study guides. (State Specific) that are GREAT! I bought some to help our employees out here at work and have had great sucess.

It's a good move to get your CDL. It always good to have whatever you can get for job hunting!!

Good Luck!

Carl

05-08-2008, 06:43 AM
As far as i no. the hardest part is the walk trough. I think they walk you around the truck seeing what you no and what does what. And proper ways to do stuff.

cmanningjr
05-08-2008, 07:42 AM
The walk aroud is not that hard. (Most people don't take it serious)

After you take and pass your written test they will give you a sheet that has all the items to point out on the walk around.

It's not a simple driving test. Just apply yourself and take it seriously and you will pass it...

C

CHAR250R
05-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I have my CDL. See if you can find a local tractor training school. You will actually learn a great deal of information. Plus the state inspector comes out to the school to give you your test, at least they do in Connecticut. The hardest part is the walk thru before you get to drive. Take your time during the walk thru, and relax. :)

OutlawEX
05-08-2008, 07:52 AM
What are some of the questions usually?

JForestZ34
05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by cmanningjr
The walk aroud is not that hard. (Most people don't take it serious)

C

The walk around is just as important as the road test.. If you don't know what your looking for that might have problems before you leave they will fail you.. Some of the questions they ask for the pre-trip inspection is stuff like, lug nuts loose, fuel tank straps, look at the air bags on the suspension make sure there not dry rotted. You mirrors are properly adjusted and not broken. Make sure with almost all of your answer end with FIRMLY ATTACHED TO VEHICLE.. When you do your in cab inspection alot of people miss the steering wheel play. You don't need to know excatly what it should be but when you grab the wheel just shake it back and forth and tell them your checking the steering wheel play.. They will also give you an air-brake test.. What they will do is ask you to start the truck up to build the air pressure when the (spitter) as they call it spits the compressor will shut off. Next push in the parking brake. With the truck running you have to pump the brake to bleed off the air and the low air warning buzzer should come on around 60psi. Keep pumping the pedal and the parking brake should pop back out at around 30psi.. Let the air build again after the air builds. What the air pressure gauge, the air pressure shouldn't drop more than 7psi per min (I THINK). I don't know the number but it should be around there.. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT THE ROAD TEST IS THIS...

When he asks if your ready for the road test and you say yes, put your seat belt on push in the parking brake, and start moving,,

WITHIN ABOUT 50FT BRING THE TRUCK TO A COMPLETE STOP AND TELL THE INSTRUCTOR THAT YOU ARE CHECKING THE BRAKES TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK.....!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how many friends I know failed the test because of that reason... The instructors I knew didn't give anybody any leaway. I know that you have a certain amount of points you have to get wrong in order to fail and believe me it's not much.. They got really strict with the CDL now so good luck take your time and you will be fine..

James