PDA

View Full Version : Simple Tire Question.

Honda4lyphe
05-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Its about time for me to get new tires, although im young and im new to this topic. Hey, we all gotta start somewhere.

Right now im running stock tires and rims, size for the front are 22X7-10 and rear are 20x10-9. Is the first number how long the rim is? Then the middle number how wide they are? And the last im guessing its how tall tall the actual tire is from the rim or something. Anyways, to make this easier im about to buy some maxxis razr tires but the numbers they list dont match mine, so would 20x11-9 work in the back and i see for the front it says 22x7-10 6ply, i have no idea what the ply means. I have to run these tires on stock rims sadly, so i have to be able to have tires that will fit.

If the size is workable with the stock rims (to my knowledge, i beleive the height of the tire from the rim can be changed, but im not going to make any rash decisions on it), what would be the best size to go for for a need of low-mid end for hill climbing and trails?
Thanks for the help!

05-07-2008, 09:22 PM
1st #: tire size
2nd #: tire width
3rd #: wheel size/diameter

drew416ex
05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
the ply rating refers to how thick the tire is. The higher the rating, the thicker the tire making it more resistant to punctures.

jesseweaver
05-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
the ply rating refers to how thick the tire is. The higher the rating, the thicker the tire making it more resistant to punctures.

also higher ply=heavier tire so dont go after the thickest ones you can find. 4 ply is good for mx and 6 for trails