PDA

View Full Version : Dumont Dunes - Thanksgiving

08-01-2001, 03:09 PM
We're packin' the wagon and heading to Dumont this year for Thanksgiving, anybody else going that way? It will be my first time there, and I'd sure like to know where the good spots to ride and camp are.

See ya there!

08-02-2001, 10:39 PM
A friend of mine spent New Years at Dumont and said he probably wouldn't go back for a while. We went to Glamis for for Thankgiving 2000 and are going back there this year. The riding is the best there plus all the fastest and nicest sand toys come out to play there, and when your not riding there is always something to see.

08-07-2001, 04:39 PM
I've done Glamis many times and I love it. But I will NEVER go there for Thanksgiving again. There are so many idiots out there on liquid courage, it's a wonder that the place is still open. Actually, 70% of the place was closed down recently over some friggin bush that occupies one percent of the place. Now I understand that most of the people that go are not the violent and destructive a-holes that the media would have the public believe, but I'm afraid that there are enough of them there on that weekend that I'd much rather take my family elsewhere.

Besides, I'm told that although a smaller area, Dumont is supposed to have some pretty huge dunes. Variety is a good thing.

08-08-2001, 12:37 AM
From what I have heard the dunes at Dumont are a lot like Sand Mountain in Nevada, long and steep and once you commit no turning back. I bet you still will get some idiots at Dumont too. Thanksgiving 2000 wasn't to bad at Glamis, there were lots of rangers out and about. I think they only closed something like 40,000 acres of the 120,000- those damn tree huggers are trying to shut down Pismo now. whats next no hiking in Yosmite.

Glamis400ex
08-09-2001, 08:59 PM
Hey FatBoy...

I went to Dumont last February. Wasn't a major holiday, so I can't tell you what it's like at that time.

Dumont is WAY smaller than Glamis, like 5 squre miles. Very fun though. There are some BIG dunes there. I think Comp. Hill is like 1200 feet to the top. (could be wrong, but that's what my dad told me, and he's been there alot)

There are lots of surrounding areas to ride also (trails and open desert), if you get tired of the dunes. I've only been there once
so I don't know where to tell ya to go. Sorry.

Dunes are dunes, they are ALL fun. Just go for it.

Later,

Glamis400ex

08-09-2001, 10:03 PM
I am getting jealous. I have only around 75ft or so dunes to climb in Oklahoma.:( :rolleyes:

08-09-2001, 11:07 PM
1200ft eh? I'll make a point to get altitudes on gps and let you know what I find. If there are clear boundries I'll figure the area as well. If it is that small, perhaps I need to bring two sets of tires? Anyways, I'll collect all the info that I can and get some pics as well. Hopefully I can get a map of the hills from the local ranger station to use as a starting reference. :macho