PDA

View Full Version : 05 450 wont kick

ltothaj1
05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
had some problems yesterday with my 05 450R...the kick start wont go down...i pushed it off a few times and it started then it wouldnt start anymore, i have an idea of whats wrong, but i just figured id get some opinions...lmk

bcg717
05-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Crank/bearings. Same thing happened to my buddies 05 a couple of months ago. We were out riding, he heard a funny noise, shut off the engine, Decided to go back to truck and it wouldnt crank over. We took it apart and sure enough the crank bearing were all over. Hope its something easier and cheaper though. Good luck.

ltothaj1
05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
thats what i was thinking, i know the 05's have an issue with the crank bearing...i appreciate the help

pro-rider46
05-07-2008, 08:50 PM
idk i have had this happen to me before, but it was like my piston seized like if it had a ring around the cylinder with rust, idk, but i popped started it and it was fine.

the Z Man
05-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Pull your oil filter and see if there is any shavings, copper shavings means crank spacer, silver, crank bearings.
If there are no shavings put it in gear and roll it backwards to free it up, then try and start it again.
Of course you want to be sure and replace the oil filter and lost oil..lol

400exrider707
05-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Everyone always jumps on the crank bearings bandwagon here... I've only seen the crank bearings go bad a very limited number of times. The 05's that had problems with their bearings went bad in less than an hour of ride time! Almost every time I've pulled one apart with this scenario, it's been the rod bearing. This last time it happened to me, the piston broke apart, and then the rod snapped off. I've replaced my crank bearings every time I've had the motor apart that far. (going on once a year every year so far). Pull the oil filter, probably shavings in there. Next take it apart and just see what it is!:cool: