PDA

View Full Version : 1st service worth $190 or not?

brian355ny
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
hey guys i got about 20hrs or so on my new kfx450, i had already changed the oil and filter after 10hrs, i just put 10w40 suzuki fourstroke oil in it, that is what the dealer told me, i'm switching to synt. next change, but i have a question is it worth the 190 the dealer is giong to charge me for a first service, what do they all do? the only thing i don't want to mess with is valves but i herd that they are always in correct spec. at this many hours, i didn't run it hard until after i changed the oil and then i would get on it a little, but not racing. thanks guys if i could i would like to use that money towards the 3 mods, but if i have to i will take it to dealer. thanks Brian

feature05
05-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Well this is my opinion and I think that is insane. 190, don't do it. All there going to do is change the oil and filter, then inspect whatever is listed in the manual at the 20 hour mark. You can do all that yourself. Save the money for the big three mods. This is a good question, does everyone else do their own work or do you take it to the dealer instead???

maddmatt02
05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I always do it myself. when i bought my sport bike, at 500 was supposed to take it in and get a first service that was well over 300, and I asked them what they did and they just changed the oil/filter and when over bolts making sure they were tight. 70 bucks in an oil and filter(expensive stuff) and I did it myself.

offroadhunter
05-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I've been told that if you have issues and need to warranty your bike, if you don't have your first service done though the dealer and Kawi requests the documentation, you may be out of luck...I can't confirm this is true but it may be worth considering

topdollr
05-07-2008, 03:33 PM
keep your receipts for the oil and filter purchase. Don't take it to the dealer. I did on mine and it was over $200; and for what. They said they checked my valves but the valve cover bolts didnt even look like they had a socket to them at all. I told him that I put marks on the heads of the bolts and they didnt touch them. The manager said my next service would be free but I never took it back to them

maddmatt02
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
thats what I did with mine, just saved the reciepts and still had warranty work done, although it wasnt any internal engine problem, the rivets holding the can together would rust and stain the can so I got the stainless steel race pipe for free. *******s wanted to charge me for the race map to go with the pipe though, even though it wasnt my fault I had to change pipes...

feature05
05-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by offroadhunter
I've been told that if you have issues and need to warranty your bike, if you don't have your first service done though the dealer and Kawi requests the documentation, you may be out of luck...I can't confirm this is true but it may be worth considering

Well this is true, but not true. When I first bought mine a year ago the dealership told me that I would need to take my quad in to let them do the first service or they wouldn't do any future warranty work on it. I was furious so an hour later I was on the phone with kawasaki headquaters. They stated that the dealer can not do that. However they did say that whatever work/service I do on my quad that I need to keep the reciepts and note it in my manual.

brian355ny
05-09-2008, 10:35 PM
thanks for advice guys, i'm going to change my oil on mon. was wanting to switch to stythetic, this will be my 2nd change ran suzuki 10w 40 before i live in northern wv. what would be the best synthetic to run? thanks Brian

feature05
05-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Well I don't know about anyone else, but in my opinion I've always stuck with Mobil 1 for everything. Car, street bike, dirtbike, and quad. It is a little more expensive but I care about my stuff so I'll spend the extra cash on it. For the quad I use the full synthetic motorcycle Racing 4T 10W-40 Mobil 1.

maddmatt02
05-10-2008, 09:32 AM
thats what i ran in my streetbike, and man that stuff is expensive. and that was almost 4 years ago, what does it cost for a gallon jug these days?

feature05
05-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I've never found it in a gallon for my toys, but for my jeep a gallon is $28.00 at walmart, and thats the cheapest I can find it anywhere. The 4T Racing for the motorcycle at walmart is usually $8.00 for a quart and thats if I can find it, for some reason where I live that oil is in demand at walmart right now. I usually have to go somewhere else and pay more for it.

Z15
05-11-2008, 07:23 AM
what would be the best synthetic to run? thanks Brian

This is what I have been using for a few years, its the best IMO. Change is once a year.

Amsoil Formula 4-StrokeĀ® PowerSports 0W-40 AFF (http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=34396&page=StoreFront/aff)

maddmatt02
05-11-2008, 09:01 AM
well, consider yourself lucky, I dont know how it went down, but when I did the oil change on my bike(I dont remember ir if was a 5 quart jug or a gallon jug though) but the mobil 1 4t full syn jug cost me right around 50 bucks if I remember. which sounds about right when castrol has some superbike oil thats almost 13 a quart.

feature05
05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Z15
This is what I have been using for a few years, its the best IMO. Change is once a year.

Amsoil Formula 4-StrokeĀ® PowerSports 0W-40 AFF (http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=34396&page=StoreFront/aff)

Dude I had started using that, but the only bike shop that stocks it raised his price. I might just have to order it now. Good link.

ILOVEMY450
05-28-2008, 07:16 AM
My first service cost 338$ for my yfz. i Did get a 130 skid plate and 15% discount cause im friendly with them! Now thats Alot!

trx310R#24
06-21-2008, 12:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by feature05
Well this is my opinion and I think that is insane. 190, don't do it. All there going to do is change the oil and filter, then inspect whatever is listed in the manual at the 20 hour mark. You can do all that yourself. Save the money for the big three mods. This is a good question, does everyone else do their own work or do you take it to the dealer instead??? [/QUOTE

if i didnt do the work i would be living in a box lol not really but you get what i mean...

an you change the oil in 10 hours???? i change mine every day lol its always clean i somtimes change it 2 times a day o an dont get me started about the air filter i change the k&n to much

Kawi_41
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
[QUOTE]Originally posted by feature05
Well this is my opinion and I think that is insane. 190, don't do it. All there going to do is change the oil and filter, then inspect whatever is listed in the manual at the 20 hour mark. You can do all that yourself. Save the money for the big three mods. This is a good question, does everyone else do their own work or do you take it to the dealer instead??? [/QUOTE

if i didnt do the work i would be living in a box lol not really but you get what i mean...

an you change the oil in 10 hours???? i change mine every day lol its always clean i somtimes change it 2 times a day o an dont get me started about the air filter i change the k&n to much

Someone has a little too much money to blow.....unless you're riding 24/7, you don't need to change it that often.