View Full Version : Waiting on plastic, so took some pics

teal94gt50
05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I ordered new plastic and a bumper for my 400 and while it was apart I sandblasted and repainted the frame, and replaced the chain and sprockets. Tonight I got it back together (minus body) and had the g/f take some pics. Thought it would entertain you a little, lol. I'll post pics again when its all back together.
PS don't mind all the junk in the background, its an old farm and dad is a pack rat, lol.
Will

teal94gt50
05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
The picture kinda sucks. Still not used to resizing w/ vista programs. I should have the new plastic and other stuff hopefully by the end of the week.

Will

BSchorr
05-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Ya, Vista sucks. I bought a laptop with vista and immediatly put XP back on it and then found all my individual drivers i needed on Acer's website, Same with my Custom PC..

But anyways. Is there a big need to standblast the frame and sub-frame before painting? What kind of spray paint did you use...? I am going to do what you did, just want to get the details. I know if I wanted to paint the swingarm, i would have to sandblast that thing forsure!

I think I want to use Rustoleum Pitch Black, But now sure! If I keep my bike, I want to eventual put Maier Carbon Fiber plastics on it! Think that would look tight. And really fix the quad up.

I want to do everything myself to save money also. So sometimes other stuff you have to sacrifice in quality or whatnot...

Hopefully the swinger bolt comes out. Been reading on here 7 out of 10 people have trouble with it!

As it sits right now. Cleaning up the CFM Airbox, re-foaming around when i put the new battery in. Also I need to find a new airfilter. Dunno If I want to get a K&N with outwear $70! or get like a 2-stage Uni... What ya think.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3442/1001007vc7.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3763/1001013wh5.jpg

teal94gt50
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I didn't sandblast the entire frame, the only parts I blasted were hard to reach areas and areas that were more than just surface rust. After that I went over everything w/ a medium grit sand paper, primered w/ rustoleum primer, then painted w/ the gloss black rustoleum paint. Seems to stick really well and is fairly durable.

I couldn't get my swing arm bolt out (previous owner never removed it) So I just masked off the entire engine, and blocked off the carb and exhaust to keep out the sand before doing any work.

You can't really go wrong w/ the black paint, it pretty much goes w/ everything and doesn't show the dirt/grease/oil as much either.

If I were you I'd probably get the uni filter. Then K&N's were nice when nothing else was around, but I think theres a lot more options now and the uni is one of the better filters in my opinion.

Good luck!! It looks like your off to a pretty good start!

Will

mooseracerX
05-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by BSchorr

But anyways. Is there a big need to standblast the frame and sub-frame before painting? What kind of spray paint did you use...? I am going to do what you did, just want to get the details. I know if I wanted to paint the swingarm, i would have to sandblast that thing forsure!

I think I want to use Rustoleum Pitch Black, But now sure! If I keep my bike, I want to eventual put Maier Carbon Fiber plastics on it! Think that would look tight. And really fix the quad up.

I want to do everything myself to save money also. So sometimes other stuff you have to sacrifice in quality or whatnot...

Hopefully the swinger bolt comes out. Been reading on here 7 out of 10 people have trouble with it!

As it sits right now. Cleaning up the CFM Airbox, re-foaming around when i put the new battery in. Also I need to find a new airfilter. Dunno If I want to get a K&N with outwear $70! or get like a 2-stage Uni... What ya think.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3442/1001007vc7.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3763/1001013wh5.jpg
Thats some awesome exhaust. I have that style LRD on my 400ex with the bronze colored can and it sounds like nothing else on the track which is awesome IMO.

BSchorr
05-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Ya, it sounds badass. Here in South Dakota, We can rid atv's on the streets like regular cars and motorcycles. People just use hoosier street tires or some type of flat track surface tire. Hopefully when im ready to register it for the streets, The cops wont bother me on it. I see the plastic has kind melted on the exhaust some. I am going to start on the quad tomorrow. Ill post pics.

Teal and I are in the same boat as far as painting and stuff!

teal94gt50
05-07-2008, 05:48 AM
BSchorr, thats awesome you can ride on the street.. Do you have to put on turn signals and a stop lamp or they don't care? Good luck on getting the rest of the quad tore down, hope you have better luck w/ the swing arm bolt than i did, lol.

Will

BSchorr
05-07-2008, 06:20 AM
I know you have to have a Headligh, and a tail light that lights up when you hit teh brake. So for 400ex's you gotta get the tail light mod with the switch. As far as turn singals, you dont if you want to drive duing the day light, you use ur left arm to signal i guess. But if you drive at night, you do. later on, i want to find crotchrocket turn signals and rig up something.

mooseracerX
05-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Oh here in Wisconsin we can ride quads on just about any street that isn't lettered or numbered so that leaves a ton of roads.
The only thing about that LRD is lately the stupid clamp keeps loosening up and then the whole slip on gets loose. I had my dad tighten it many times but the clamp keeps getting loose. And it does get really hot and melt plastic, I have 3 layers of heat shield on there so it doesn't. My dad and I are going to use some of that exhaust wrap so it doesn't. I cut my rear fenders so they are a little less rigid but not too bad though. Heres a picture although that was before I added the Pro Armors, handguards, and stabilizer after the picture was taken.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/racequad450/209729-R1-00-25A_001.jpg
I'm totally sorry about the thread jack. I can't wait to see those with plastic on them.

teal94gt50
05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Lol, no problem mooseracer, I don't mind people adding stuff. By the way sweet looking bike1 I got my blingstar v2 victory bumper this afternoon, and will be getting the plastic tomorrow. I'm hoping to get it on tomorrow evening and snap a few pics. I don't have my seat cover yet, but that should be in in a few days I hope.

Will