PDA

View Full Version : help! clutch question

unitednations
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
i am doing a rebuild on an 03 400ex and I had to take the clutch apart and now that its back together it is always engaged. I cant start the Wheeler cause its not all back together yet, but when i turn it with a ratchet the wheeler moves even if i pull out or push in on that center thing. Any IDEAS?

bdtoady22
05-06-2008, 07:29 PM
i doubt that you have enough strength to is disengage the clutch by just pushing or pulling out on the ill call it the clutch rod, do you have the side cover back on because it sounds like you dont. did you soak the plates and fibers in oil first, and also did you put them back the way they came out? fiber steel fiber steel etc?

unitednations
05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
no i am trying by using the lever, The cover is on but it wont depress, when i push the starter the wheels turn. I took the clutch apart again and i cant find anything wrong! I did put the plates in right. The lever pulls normal it just doesn't depress.

Help Please what am i missing?

bdtoady22
05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
is the bike up on a stand because some times the tire will spin with no load on them. mine is a 99 and original clutches and it will spin up on a stand have you tried it on the ground?

unitednations
05-08-2008, 10:15 PM
no its on ground, the clutch isnt working at all, it stays on

double d 1
05-09-2008, 04:47 AM
this happened to my friends 400 last weekend. we had to take it back apart and two of the plates were in backwards. make sure the sharp edge is on the outside. he put in the EBC kit with stiffer springs. he took those out as well and put the stock springs back in. we dont know if it was the springs or the plates but it works now. also when we put it back together it did the same thing untill we got it started,maybe the oil needed to be circulated around abit.

unitednations
05-09-2008, 10:43 AM
the sharp edges on the friction plate or the clutch plates?

Thank you

double d 1
05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
sorry for the delay. the friction plates.