View Full Version : honda vs can am

1965 honda
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
im buying 4 x 4
can am 650 or honda 680
whitch one and why?

reconranger
05-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda calls the Rincon an "SUV", not a utility quad. I really think their target buyer for this machine is aging baby boomers who want a comfy ride.....a recent review said it has the best ride in the business! It has a reputation for being a little underpowered, but again it is a cruiser and not a work quad.

Honda's torque sensing front drive works very well. It is biased 70/30% which is ideal in my opinion. I have never felt like I ever needed lockers....but then I don't wallow around in the mud either.

The transmission has no engine braking at very low speed, which means it is all brakes on a technical downhill....no thanks on that one! If you cruise the forums like I do, you will find that this machine has a good reputation for quality and reliability, but when the tranny goes, it isn't going to be something that you are likely to be able to fix yourself.

As for the Can-Am, I am not familiar with this particular model, but I am very unimpressed with my buddies Can-Ams. I just don't like the North American manufacturer's attitude that no quad can be either to big or to heavy....at least Honda makes an effort to keep the weight down to 600 pounds! The NA manufacturers also seem to want to lard up their machines with a bunch of "features", that just drive up the price.

I am a gear-on-gear manual tranny guy, and while I don't particularly like the Honda transmission, I absolutely hate the sea of rubber band drive machines that are out there!!!

1965 honda
05-07-2008, 11:04 AM
the can am is smaller than the honda all around with the exception of overall length

reconranger
05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
...but how HEAVY is the Can-Am????

1965 honda
05-07-2008, 08:03 PM
the can am is 57 lbs heavier

04hemiboy
05-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 1965 honda
the can am is 57 lbs heavier

...and the 500 CanAm beats the 680 Rincon. There is absolutely no competition against the 650. I traded my 07 680 Rincon for a Renegade 800x and by far the Gade is superior. I even paid less for the 800x.