PDA

View Full Version : outlaw 500

Outlaw6;=-
05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
hey guys.. my first thread so don't hate. i have an 06 outlaw 500 irs,planing on buying a hmf pipe but would like some input on which to buy from the dif types they sell. Plus i ride between 0-600ft above sea lvl and would like any info on jetting.Only thing i have done is add a k&n airfilter.

OUTLAWGNCC
05-07-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm still racing a 500 and will tell you what I have done. I have the White Bros high flow air cleaner, love it. No lid and haven't had any probs with water or mud. I have the White Bros dual exaust, spark arresters out. Jetting. My elevation is close to yours, I went two sizes up on the main jet and two sizes up on the pilot jet and she screams. Try going one up on both and check your plug for color. If it's too light, go one bigger on both till you get a nice medium brown to darker brown. If you get popping on decelleration, you are too lean yet. sorry, no easy way to do it, but jets are cheap also. I have to sit out this summer due to surgery on my hand, but usually run the GNCC Nationals regular. I have heard nothing but good stuff about HMF, so go for it. Hope this helps, Big Chuck.

jjd223
05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Chuck, what shocks are you running on your 500? I have a 500 and run MX and i just noticed the right front shock leaking oil. I need to weigh my options.

thanks

Joe

OUTLAWGNCC
05-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Joe, I also race some MX with it. i have the same Podiums that came on it, but I have them triple rate springs with extra heavy oil in them. The springs are for my weight and I also have rezzies on the front shocks. Also, if you are serious about racing MX with it, get the 18" rear and 20 inch front MX tires of your choice. It dramaticaly changes the feel of the handling, a good change for MX. If you do this, you will have to go one tooth larger, to a 15 tooth front sprocket to off set the changed gear ratio with the smaller tires. It will be perfect for MX with this arrangment. i trophied about 75% of the time, not bad for a cross country racer with only a couple of years racing some MX... Hope this helps. Any more questions, I might be able to help you, Chuck.

jjd223
05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Chuck,

I have the 07' Outlaw 500 which has the Ryde FX shocks, i am not happy at all with the performance im not sure if i should send these out to be rebuilt/valved or to get an aftermarket set. .... I need to try something different.

What rims are you using with your 18" rear tires? have you gone up to 10" to try and eliminate the wheel rub or are you running the stock 9" ?

Thanks for your help

Joe

katch26
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Chuck....you said you had springs for your weight but I remember you being a bigger guy. The only spring set Ive seen were up to 220 if yours are different where did you get them from?
Mike

OUTLAWGNCC
05-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Katch, got the springs like 3 years ago from HTPperformance.com. Personally talked to the owner and he said that he was over like 300 pound and had springs for me in a triple rate that would be exactly what I need for XC racing for the Podium shocks. He was right on. He said that he didn't advertise over the 220 pound springs you refered to. you will have to call him and ask about it. The number is on the website. If that is a no go, call GT Thunder and talk to Laz, he might be able to help you out.
JJD, I am running stock rims, have some scratches, I aint' worried about them, I shaved off the manufacturing nub that is the culprit to it. They have pics and explain what to do on predowners.com. The Ryde shocks are junk from what I have read, sorry. The Podiums have dished out all the high speed abuse on my previous Pred and now the Outlaw. My triple rate springs went right on my Outlaw shocks, just different washers in between each spring, so you can do it. When I heard they changed to ryde, I shook my head. Podium is a great shock.

OUTLAWGNCC
05-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Forgot something. I am stablemates with John Gallagher and get the inside on what the factory racers have, anyway, during testing before the flor. GNCC this spring, he is running the Fox Floats air shocks and loves them. The cost in the long run is cheaper, no springs ect. Just dial in air pressures and there you go. I know he is definatly running them on the front, not sure about the rear. Will be talking with him at the GNCC National tomorrow and will find out for you. Later...