View Full Version : Navy.

ZeroLogic
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
How ya'll doin, I'm thinkin about joinin the Navy down the road around a year from now. How do you Navy guys like it? What kind of education do you get if any? Pros? Cons? And can you join the Navy with asthma?

hskers82
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Not sure on the Asthma but they are definetly getting more lax on what used to keep a person from joining the military.I was in the Navy(seabees-heavy equipment operator) for 5 years.If I had to do it all over I would not change a thing.I can't say I loved the military but it is a life changing experience.As far as schooling goes,I got out and did carpentry work for a year and then have been running a backhoe ever since(7 1/2 years).

450R-156
05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
If your asthma isnt that bad I would not tell them about it, if you tell them you will have to try and get a waiver which you might get or might not. Atleast that is how the army is and I believe all the branches are the same on their asthma rules. When I went to MEPS I didnt tell them a single thing because they are looking for a single reason not to let you in

Cr85rRida
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Navy?

Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

:blah:

elkablaster94
05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I joined the MMR (Merchant Marine Reserves) through a program at my university, they pay $4000 a semester to help with schooling (or racing in my case). When I graduate with a coast guard unlimited tonnage license, I will be obligated to serve 6 years in the Navy reserves on an Ensign's pay. I can ship out civillian on oil tankers for 6 months out of the year, then in the remaining time I have off complete my yearly training (usually a series of seminars, licensing, etc) for two weeks of the year. I submit a form to the Maritime Administration, which pretty much confirms that I am still alive and involved with the program, and in 8 years I can part ways and do whatever I please. The downside to the whole thing is that I can be called to active duty if third engineers are ever needed on any fleet ships, which alot of employers frown upon. Regardless, it is an experience, makes you stand out from others, and puts $32,000 in your pocket over four years, so its not a bad deal.

400exrider707
05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
My younger brother just joined recently. He graduated boot camp mid april. He absolutely hated boot camp (but you're supposed to right?) He almost quit once, on the second to last day. He ended up graduating in the top division of his class which was great. It totally changed him, and now that he's off doing schooling for the Navy, he loves it and praises it. This coming from a kid who before this wouldn't work or go to school for anything. It definitely made him a better person.

Plus chicks can not resist a guy in a sailor outfit. I've seen it first hand. I thought about just buying me one of them outfits!:cool:

ZeroLogic
05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to get into a carpentry or construction field with the Navy. I just don't want to join and then be stuck on a ship for days on end!:p

bwamos
05-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Cr85rRida
Navy?

Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

:blah:

If they pay you it's not volunteer. ;)

ZeroLogic
05-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Upp.

<DRS>GPF
05-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to get into a carpentry or construction field with the Navy. I just don't want to join and then be stuck on a ship for days on end!:p

you should consider the USCG, perhaps something in naval architecture.

AtvMxRider
05-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I just don't want to join and then be stuck on a ship for days on end!:p

Try months on end. If you don't want to be on a ship then don't join becuase you will be on a ship.

wilkin250r
05-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Try months on end. If you don't want to be on a ship then don't join becuase you will be on a ship.

Indeed.

Navy = ships. That's how it works.

bwamos
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
If you want to get into the carpentyr/construction side and don't want to be stuck on a ship, look into the US Army Corp of Engineers.

hskers82
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider

This is far from true.If you want to do carpentry/construction look into the Seabees.I spent 5 years in the seabees(NMCB 7) and NEVER was on a ship.Everywhere I went overseas we flew commercial(they bought out the entire commercial flight).If you are interested in carpenter/construction work ask your recruiter about becomming a BU( this is the Navy's carpenter.they also have steelworkers,plumbers,mechanics,heavy equipment operators.these are all jobs in the seabees)If you have any questions just send me a PM