PDA

View Full Version : Shift Pin Question

kingquad2
05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Im pretty sure when riding this weekend I broke the shift pin. I haven't had the time to take it apart yet but my question is.....what is the chance that the case ISN'T broken? The motor fires up and runs (it isn't locked up) you just cant shift the bike. Any help is appreciated.

LTR450_#67
05-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Even if the case is broken, you can put an aftermarket bracket in to hold the shift pin....That problem is notorious on these things. I still love the machine to death.

ROTTY261
05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
There is also a chance you bent a shift fork in there. I have talked to several people that have bent the 5th gear shift fork.

If it is the shift pin get a BCS shift pin relocator from Fuel ATV, there are some great step by step instructions out there for it too. I know I seen them on ********! Good luck man

Bkillerp
05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Is it stuck in gear? If so, which gear?

kingquad2
05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I appreciate all the help. It is stuck in 3rd gear.....

Bkillerp
05-20-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm dealing with the same issue right now, except mine is stuck in first gear. I do have the BCS shift pin relocate bracket installed though. I have not had a chance to tear into mine, but will this weekend. If I find out what the issue is before you do, I'll let you know.

kingquad2
05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah let me know what your issue is. I have yet to take mine apart and will be doing so this weekend as well. Thanks a lot.

hanes17
05-21-2008, 08:48 PM
You guys are lucky....

In my brothers WORCS race on Easter his LTR's transmission completly siezed up and wouldn't even shift or spin/roll.

And that was only its 3rd race ever on the tranny...

kingquad2
05-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by hanes17
You guys are lucky....

In my brothers WORCS race on Easter his LTR's transmission completly siezed up and wouldn't even shift or spin/roll.

And that was only its 3rd race ever on the tranny...

This is exactyly what is wrong with mine. Did he get his fix? What was the exact problem?

hanes17
06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
When they took it apart there wasn't anything left that was straight..
Every gear had atleast one bad chunk off of it...

Bkillerp
06-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I finally got mine fixed. The issue was a stupid mistake on my part. I got everything apart and realized that the gearshaft and the cam driven gear were mis-aligned from when I reassembled the pieces, after installing the shift pin relocate bracket. After I shifted into first, since the gears were not aligned properly, they bound against each other, which locked them up. All I had to do was pull the shift shaft and adjust the gearshaft up one tooth and it solved the problem. So about 2 hours and four beers later I was back on the track. Luckily I got away cheap this time. Plus it needed an oil and coolant change anyway. It’s strange though, because I have had my LTR out on a few dunes trips and never had a problem shifting. I think when it locked up it must have engaged just perfectly enough in order for the two gears to bind the way it did.