PDA

View Full Version : xring or oring

jeminiii6
05-06-2008, 10:39 AM
i am replacing the chain and sprockets on my 87 250x....does it matter if i buy an oring or xring chain?

bwamos
05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I prefer the X-Ring.

When you get water spray, it will tighten the seal. When on an oring, it can wedge/push past the oring easier.

I've just found X-Rings to work a little better. The chains are often made a little stronger as well.

kukerdan
07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
save UR money and buy a standard chain

bwamos
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Old thread.. but it depends on your riding style. If you just run fields and fire/abandoned rail roads then a standard chain would be fine. They'll work "ok" for everything else too. Many argue that it may be superior in the dunes w/ light oil as well.

I never used an X-Ring until the prices came down either. The X-Ring is a very reasonably priced chain now days. I used the normal o-ring chains.

Standard (non-oring) chains have a wear rating of 100.
Most X-Ring chains have a wear rating of 3000+

aka.. a standard chain has 30x more wear than an x-ring under identical testing criteria. (granted that is labratory and not real world)

The X and O-rings generally also have a higher tensile strength.

You may (or may not) want to rethink your drug references in your signature. People are generally less apt to give you intellectual credit if they think you are a dope head.

kukerdan
07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
They can believe what they wish.

I guarantee I am one of the youngest in here with a
intellectual job (Read: Career.) I am 22 and have been
a System Administrator / Network Engineer for a BIG multinational .com since I was 20. So if you want to think
Im some dumb stoner, go for it. I love to get high and I
encourage everyone to try it.

I've run O's next to Non O's and seen the o's break before.
They arent any better of a chain, Sure you can buy a pricer Oring, or a cheap cheap standard, obviously one should be stronger than the other. Pay 20 for a standard or 60-100 for one of the other chains, Ill have 40$'s to burn.

O and X ring chains are for those who neglect their chain.

If you wash it off after every ride, and Lube it beforehand,
A standard will be just fine. If you want to ignore it go for an O or X. I personally am On top of my maintanence game.

Thank you