PDA

View Full Version : Broken bolt!

twoares
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I am replacing my counterbalancer bearings and I noticed that the upper left bolt that holds the counterbalancer bearing holder was broken. Is this a big deal? I think it has been broken for some time since I bought the 250R in 95' and have never took it out before.

Does anyone have a good fix or a "been there, done that" story?

stever250r
05-06-2008, 02:18 AM
This is very very common problem for the 250R. The stock bearing holder ears will always break off.

They sell a billet aluminum bearing holder that will keep this from happening again. They are not that expensive, $ 40-$50 if I remember correctly.

I would go ahead and replace it, if not the other ears on the holder will also break off.

I just noticed that you said the bolt was broken, not the ears on the bearing holder. I believe the upper left bolt is the long bolt that threads into the opposite side case half. If thats the situation I think in order to get the other broken half of the bolt out would require tearing the motor down and splitting the cases.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

honda350r
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
If you don't want to fix it now,make sure you leave the broken bolt in the engine or eles the little piece that is stuck in the engine will come out and destroy your stator! The broken bolt will act as a stopper ..

All250R
05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
You can call Titanium Performance here in San Diego for replacement long bolts. Last time I ordered they were a little over $10 a piece. Upgrading the balancer holder while you're in there isn't a bad idea unless you're tight on cash. At a minimum though, replace the bolts with something stronger. It gets more important the larger the bore gets and vibration increases.

Titanium Performance
HF06100
HF06110
(619) 501-8294

twoares
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice but do you think that only the two bolts will hold up?

Dave83
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Your call but as mentioned,that bolt goes thru to the other case half.IMO,you are inviting a case half gasket failure in that spot by leaving it as is.I would try a very thin long screwdriver and see if I couldnt snag the broke piece and screw it out.If that failed I would look into a 3mm extended drill bit and a cordless drill at low speed in reverse.Chances are that the piece thats in there isnt very tight and may be easy to remove.Ive used my methods to remove a broken case saver bolt with success.

honda350r
05-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by twoares
Thanks for all the advice but do you think that only the two bolts will hold up?

How long has it held up untill you took it apart ? 5 years or more ?

I would not fix it untill I split the cases, just make sure you put the broken piece back in untill you fix it right ...