PDA

View Full Version : Help me with whoops

jesseweaver
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
all the tracks i go to have deep, steep, nasty whoops and i suck at them. i always end up going around them or rolling almost everyone of them. then i see guys just charge right up through them and make it look easy, but i am always afraid my front end i going to catch and send me over the bars or my rears gonna kick up and send me face first into one. i have no problem hitting 80+ feet but am scared to go through 6 ft whoops. what gives?

chadbarger18
05-05-2008, 07:35 PM
i always double them and did pretty good sometimes would even pass acouple of the faster guys. just try something like that if you can. but im scared to charge them to so your not the only 1

05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
just pull off and watch some of the other guys that are skimming them or doubleing them and listen and watch where there getting on it and letting off and how there hitting the first few thats pretty important. and then just do exactly what they do, there not going to be able to do anything better than you can unless your looking at extremely fast people. just remember not to panic and pin it thats how most people wreck, just let off slowly.

Robin Hood
05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Watch the other riders for a bit, then try their line through it at a comfortable speed. Try to watch their body english as well. Pin it and lean back is usually just the basics. :blah:

quad2xtreme
05-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
all the tracks i go to have deep, steep, nasty whoops and i suck at them. i always end up going around them or rolling almost everyone of them. then i see guys just charge right up through them and make it look easy, but i am always afraid my front end i going to catch and send me over the bars or my rears gonna kick up and send me face first into one. i have no problem hitting 80+ feet but am scared to go through 6 ft whoops. what gives?

me too...and it doesn't help that I got catapulted over the bars and ran over by my own quad. I couldn't ride again for about 8 weeks and I am just getting back to learning how to get through them after a year and 3 months from my accident. Obviously a good suspension helps. I have been softening and softening my suspension now that I know the tracks that I ride at better and am clearing the jumps. If I plan on trying new jumps, I increase my compression settings 4 clicks.

Well, I really can't help you at all other than to tell you there are many in your club. :p

I wish a track could build 3 or 4 sets of rhythm sections with progressive difficulty so you could slowly learn.

XXXRACER165
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by z400rider08
just pull off and watch some of the other guys that are skimming them or doubleing them and listen and watch where there getting on it and letting off and how there hitting the first few thats pretty important. and then just do exactly what they do, there not going to be able to do anything better than you can unless your looking at extremely fast people. just remember not to panic and pin it thats how most people wreck, just let off slowly.

The absolute WORST thing to do in whoops is let off the gas. If anything, come up to them slow and gas through them. Cause when you let off the throttle your front end dives into the whoops, sending you over the bars.

416exfreak
05-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
The absolute WORST thing to do in whoops is let off the gas. If anything, come up to them slow and gas through them. Cause when you let off the throttle your front end dives into the whoops, sending you over the bars.

Not in every case. Ive got in over my head and let off, and rode out of them without getting hurt.

Do your offset wheels help you in the whoops?:rolleyes:

05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165

That would be why i said slowly let off. I really dont need to explain my reasoning, all i know is slowly letting off has saved my *** more times than holding it wide open due to panic.

jesseweaver
05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
does the back end ever kick you up over the bars from hitting a whoop near the bottom? or is it better to focus on keeping the front from dipping?

XXXRACER165
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Do your offset wheels help you in the whoops?:rolleyes:

Unfortunately they don't, only length helps in the whoops. Not width.

diangelo#67
05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
faster the better, allow the suspension to keep you on top of the tall ones, Try to shift up and pin it before you go in . try doubleing them first. then work up to fast speed approach

05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
damn you guys are crazy, pinning it through whoops. The whoops around here eat you alive, you gotta double double them. Once you get a good rhythm going your pretty much set.

FoxRacing81
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Are they spaced far apart or close together?

Close together: Work on leaning back, and holding the throttle. Like previously stated, the more throttle and faster you hit them, then better off you'll be. It's all about body position and being able to keep steady throttle without any hesitations.

Far apart: Best bet normally is to try to double them. If they are as big as you are describing, it shouldn't be really a hard thing to get down. Just work on giving your throttle short, quick snaps to propel from one to the next.

That's how I've done them. I'm no pro, but I seemed to do okay through most sets of whoops when I rode a lot before.

Ruby Soho
05-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
damn you guys are crazy, pinning it through whoops. The whoops around here eat you alive, you gotta double double them. Once you get a good rhythm going your pretty much set.

the ones at walden are nasty. ive only seen one guy on a ktm skim those.

MX MaNiAc 06
05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I always had a problem with whoops. Busted my nads countless times trying to rip through them. Then yesterday i was out testing my LT rear pep shock n i could skim, double or just fly into them. I did fine. Good suspension deffinately helps.

05-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I have actually done a front flip over the whoops because my front with stock suspension dipped down and hit a whoops that a dirtbiker also used as a high bank so it was a huge whoop yeah it hurt. Another isntance I was pinned in 4th gear over these whoops and I saw they coninued to get bigger I mean these things were the biggest whoops I had seen my choices were slowly let off hoping the front wont dive or the back kicks up making me flip or hold on for my life and pin it through lol I pinned it and every time I hit the top of thesesince they were so big it was like hitting a jump but I made it. Good suspension deffinately helps. Even just a good rear shock does so much.

jesseweaver
05-07-2008, 08:53 PM
through the biggest whoops you've ever seen in 4th pinned? your hitting these at 50mph:eek2: then ate it face first into a whoop:eek2: we need videos.

yea at the rocket last year i was tempted to just pin it up through but those whoops were pretty bad and i never saw a quad do it before so i decided not to. at a local track i go to the whoops are really steep and peaked, your bottom will touch when you roll them. and there far apart but you cant double them becuase theres no way to land on the next one. and on top of that theres a high berm no more than 10 or 15 feet out of the last one which is the biggest. ive seen quite a few bikes get their rear kicked up and eat it iver the berm. and ive never seen a quad do these either.

dehner47
05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
all whoops are different.some you can blitz threw,some you can double or triple them and some have a combination of the both.like some of these dudes have said,watch a few of the faster guys roll threw them and figure out there rythem.i have also found in watching a few dirtbikes doing them you can pick up on there style threw them.if a top dirtbike dude aint blitzin them,why would you try to do it on a quad:)

if its the double triple style whoops,figure out whos doing what and try that.if the guys are blitzin threw them,then give it a try.besides,whats the worse gonna happen,your gonna crash.this is quad riding and racing.be prepared to crash.its not if you crash,its when.and i have plent experience crashing.got good at it along the wayand as for being scared,dont be.thats the worse thing you can have in any kinda racing.fear makes you hesitant and hesitation makes you crash.if you can,take a whole practice day and practice nothing but whoops.try all types of different ways threw them.you'll figure it along the way.

Warnerade
05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
lean back and braaaaaaaaap

05-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
through the biggest whoops you've ever seen in 4th pinned? your hitting these at 50mph:eek2: then ate it face first into a whoop:eek2: we need videos.

yea at the rocket last year i was tempted to just pin it up through but those whoops were pretty bad and i never saw a quad do it before so i decided not to. at a local track i go to the whoops are really steep and peaked, your bottom will touch when you roll them. and there far apart but you cant double them becuase theres no way to land on the next one. and on top of that theres a high berm no more than 10 or 15 feet out of the last one which is the biggest. ive seen quite a few bikes get their rear kicked up and eat it iver the berm. and ive never seen a quad do these either.

yeah i wish I had a helmet cam even for riding a bicycle but it would get broke pretty easy lol I'm the only person I know to have taken a turn on a bike so fast that the bike slid out from underneath them and then smashed into a cable box lol I've topped out over whoops before but when I hydroplaned going that fast and I went darting through the woods I pretty much shat myself and said never again so I like to keep the whoop riding to 3rd or 4th gear instead.

my88r
05-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
yeah i wish I had a helmet cam even for riding a bicycle but it would get broke pretty easy lol I'm the only person I know to have taken a turn on a bike so fast that the bike slid out from underneath them and then smashed into a cable box lol I've topped out over whoops before but when I hydroplaned going that fast and I went darting through the woods I pretty much shat myself and said never again so I like to keep the whoop riding to 3rd or 4th gear instead.

that outside trail at crooms. got to have the biggest whoops around. atleast where i been to.:D