PDA

View Full Version : help! koso variator won't shift!

dericsdad
05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Do you need to run a lot heavier roller weights in the koso variator than the stock variators with a less steep ramp angle?

I just installed a new koso front variator, new Kasea outer face plate, koso lightened shoe clutch with red MRP brand 2k rpm shoe springs, a yellow 1500rpm torque spring, and the koso high grip bell.

I installed new 4.5 gram rollers, and this thing will not shift out at all! It seemed fine on the stand, but when I tried it out in the driveway it wouldn't shift. It feels like the cam plate/slides are hanging up in the variator.

I put my stock modified variator back in it, this time using 6/4 weights, and it seemed perfect.

Did I get a factory blem/defect or do I just need to use a lot heavier rollers?

Thanks, Dan.

#404's Dad
05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by dericsdad
Do you need to run a lot heavier roller weights in the koso variator than the stock variators with a less steep ramp angle?

I just installed a new koso front variator, new Kasea outer face plate, koso lightened shoe clutch with red MRP brand 2k rpm shoe springs, a yellow 1500rpm torque spring, and the koso high grip bell.

I installed new 4.5 gram rollers, and this thing will not shift out at all! It seemed fine on the stand, but when I tried it out in the driveway it wouldn't shift. It feels like the cam plate/slides are hanging up in the variator.

I put my stock modified variator back in it, this time using 6/4 weights, and it seemed perfect.

Did I get a factory blem/defect or do I just need to use a lot heavier rollers?

Thanks, Dan.

We run anywhere from 2.5 - 6.5 in our KOSO variators with no issues. Make sure the Red sliders are on all the way or they could cause a slight bind.

etondaddy
05-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Mark the pulley halfs with a sharpie and get the most belt travel with the lowest gram weights.

Mike Kozura

dericsdad
05-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I did mark the sheeves with a sharpie. you can tell the belt traveled up to just over an 1/8" from the top when I tested it on the stand. But it didn't raise up much at all in the driveway... it has a darker/hot color where you can tell the belt wasn't shifting out.

The slides don't seem to fit tight in the cam plate at all, and I suspect it was hanging up on the slides.

Should i get different slides?