PDA

View Full Version : insurance?

laeger2fiddyr
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
i would like to build a brand new walsh crf but im having alot of trouble trying to find an insurance company to insure it! i would like to just put theft & fire on it. anyone had any luck trying to get insurance for ur hybrids???

laeger2fiddyr
05-06-2008, 06:25 AM
nobody has insurance on ur hybrids??:(

250Renvy
05-06-2008, 09:00 AM
What's the problem with your insurance company and why they won't insure it?

Do they insure regular atv's?

What I'm doing with my new hybrid frame is putting an OEM vin number on it so I can have a proper ownership document.

I haven't looked into what kind of coverage I can get for theft because it is quite expensive to put replacement value insurance on it and if it's valued at $20K to replace it - I'm not sure how they will react to a 20K atv. Plus from what I've found most companies aren't quick to insure atv's because they are so easily stolen.

Let us know.

laeger2fiddyr
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
they say because its not a factory atv. once you tell them its a hybrid that you built they tell you no way! my insurance lady said they wont even insure custom choppers because its not a big factory name like "harley" or whatever. i want to build this thing so bad but just worried about theft. i thought maybe i could put it under my homeowners insurance but they said no way to that too!!!:(

jrspawn
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Id say your best bet is to take the complete quad to your local DMV. Have them create a title/registration for it. It will need to be serial numbered somehow though. You might have a better chance that way with insurance companies.

Thank you
Justin

crf540r
05-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I have my Hybrid insured though State Farm. It took a little bit to get them to do it and I have everything insured through them which probably helped but I have full covereage.

05-14-2008, 11:23 PM
I bought my quad as a stock 400ex and had insurance on it and turned it into a hybrid with it still being insured as a 400ex.

Glamis400ex
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I've got mine insured for $12K. I didn't have ALL receipts to back it up BUT when I showed them the original invoice for the frame, sub-frame, stem, a arms, swinger and the CRF450 engine...it came to $7000. I also made a list of ALL actual parts not listed on an invoice but used on my quad like Hardkor Hubs, RPM Dominator, Fullbore, etc and gave a MSRP for everything. I told them to feel free to google any part I listed in case they didn't believe me on why this quad costs' so much.

I also told them that my quad was originally built for racing and no expense was spared. The guy who built it had deep pockets. So, when I actually added everything up used on my hybrid it was actually closer to $16K to build.

I have been a customer of StateFarm for over 18 years and they believe me when I have a $12k quad to insure. They wanted a few pics of it which was no problem and it also helps that my agent is a Sand Duner like me so when she saw the pic and saw the list of parts used, she knew I wasn't BS'ing them. That probably helped the others out in the office understand the cost factor.

I think I pay like $17 a month

outacontrol
05-16-2008, 05:19 AM
state farm shot me down instantly, when i tried getting a quote. no vin, no insurance was what i was told. good luck!

deathman53
05-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm having 2 hybrid trikes built, both copies of atc250r frames, one using a crf450r motor and the other with a atc200x motor. The guy is stamping some numbers in the frames and says he might be able get me some kind of custom atv title. I have another custom/hybrid trike, its a 86 atc250r, basically I brought the guy a perfect stock frame and he copied nearly exact(with some changes), that has no numbers on it anywhere. I guard this very closely, If its stolen, I'm out over 10g's, with nothing to identify(police standards). I'm hoping I don't have problems registering and insuring one of those hybrid trikes.

250Renvy
05-16-2008, 04:57 PM
For any of the issues, if it's the VIN that is an issue then I'd just take a junk frame from whatever and transfer the numbers.

It's not much different than buying a replacement frame from the factory - they are vinless and require you to transfer your numbers.

laeger2fiddyr
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
i have state farm ins!!!!!! i have truck, car, renters & life ins w/ them. been a customer since i was 16 & im 28 now! she told me no way!!! whats ur ladies #? i want to call and talk to her!!! i told them i would have all reciepts and will provide a list of parts & pics & she said no!