PDA

View Full Version : can i make my 400ex faster then an ltr 450 ???

grispin23
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
i need to know what to do to my 400ex to make it go faster then a ltr 450 ?

05-05-2008, 03:32 PM
if your in the trails you could beat him for sure lol in a drag 18" tires will probally make it on par top speed wise. 440 stroker built right can easily take any 450. My friend had a 440 stroker and a few other things and it hauled. Anything he raced he flew by it was crazy when I rode it. He had that thing up to 86MPH

red_rider_069
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
yea.. i raced a banshee on my 400 got holeshot every time but he passed me up almost at teh end of 1/8 mile.. then i tried a 450 ltr against the banshee.. same i got holeshot.. and then got passed up even closer than my 400.. so in drag 400 with pipe and siple mods will beat it.. either that or im jsut good.. or banshee guy sucks lol.. but he' not he was good rider..:blah:

mooseracerX
05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
It isn't really in the motor size. Its in the trans and drive gears I thing anyways. I know the extra cc will help you have more power to pull the different gears.

XXXRACER165
05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Here's why reality is so different from dreams. Yes you can take the 400EX motor and mod it to beat a stock or piped 450, but once they do the same thing you do to your engine the hope fades away. It's way easier to save up and buy a 450 than to beat one with a EX.

mooseracerX
05-05-2008, 06:55 PM
^^ I agree. Although on an MX track you could have a built 440 and and legally run Production 450, if they build their 450 motor they can't legally anyways. Plus I've saw it done. Kid I race with 16 or 17 on a build 426 was beating 450's. I'm not sure what class it was but it can be done.

trx400EXtreme
05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
top speed isn't really an issue considering the top speed of the LTR stock is only 74. it's tourqe that you will have to have.

burnthesnikle
05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
ltr's are slow...
my 440 is just as fast
and my 440 is just as fast as a honda 450r with the same mods...only mine was 440

05-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I cant stand the whole thing when people say dont try to make the EX faster save up for the R. Maybe we like the looks, handling, and maintainance better than a 450 so we keep the great 400ex and build it up. Its mostly rider too. I cant count how many 450's ,banshees, z400's w/e i have beaten in different types of racing when I drag the 450 it kills me but on the track or trails theres no difference its the better rider. Drag racing Banshees and such I was clearly the better rider even though they had 4-5 times the amount of money I have in mods. Its all about knowing the machine and what feels best. Give a guy a quad with more mods, more power, more traction and you can still win because he may not be the best guy at riding or knowing the machine. On the other hand if you are equal riders or pretty close chances are you wont win. 440 stroker was the fastest thing I have ever ridden. Race any 450 unless they had port work and bored, with the addition to the normal mods (exhaust, intake, cam) and they would lose. I mean 86MPH... I rode it and I couldnt believe th power it had. 1st through 5th it pulled just as hard as the gear before until it bounces off the rev limiter it was amazing.

trx400EXtreme
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
couldn't agree more^^^. it makes me so mad when all people worry about is how fast they can go in a strait line. thats not what riding is all about.

powermadd400ex
05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
its mostly rider. i can keep up with ltr's all day long on the jumps and whoops but once theres a nice straight away they alway pass me. i figure when i get the 440 kit, i can keep up on the straight aways and end up passing them on the rhytm section and such

NacsMXer
05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I cant stand the whole thing when people say dont try to make the EX faster save up for the R. Maybe we like the looks, handling, and maintainance better than a 450 so we keep the great 400ex and build it up. Its mostly rider too. I cant count how many 450's ,banshees, z400's w/e i have beaten in different types of racing when I drag the 450 it kills me but on the track or trails theres no difference its the better rider. Drag racing Banshees and such I was clearly the better rider even though they had 4-5 times the amount of money I have in mods. Its all about knowing the machine and what feels best. Give a guy a quad with more mods, more power, more traction and you can still win because he may not be the best guy at riding or knowing the machine. On the other hand if you are equal riders or pretty close chances are you wont win. 440 stroker was the fastest thing I have ever ridden. Race any 450 unless they had port work and bored, with the addition to the normal mods (exhaust, intake, cam) and they would lose. I mean 86MPH... I rode it and I couldnt believe th power it had. 1st through 5th it pulled just as hard as the gear before until it bounces off the rev limiter it was amazing.

I agree with ya on that. As much as I "try" to like the 450 quads, they just don't do it for me. I don't want to be another kid that gets the newest quad out just cause it's the quad to have at the time.

I realize the 450's give you an excellent powerplant to start from vs. a 400EX, but that doesn't make the 400EX uncompetitive at the same time.

I absolutely love the 400EX's handling, it's one of the most balanced quads out there. Reliability is great even when fully modded. Maintenence is easy, it is a very well-designed quad that is simple to work on...you can't say the same for some 450 quads.

Looks, while seemingly superficial are also important to me. I cannot for the life of me get myself to like the spaceship looks of the new 450's today....the 450R is the most normal and even then i'm not crazy about it vs. the 400EX.

I modded the crap out of my motor because I love my quad and have put my heart and soul into it. I wanted it to stay competitive with the new 450's.

Any rider that is used to your run-of-the-mill 400EX will be blown away at how much torque this motor package makes......and that's pulling a big 16T countershaft sprocket to boot! There's countless 400EX owners running 14T and even 13T front sprockets.....I couldn't even imagine running that, it just wouldn't work...i'd be in each gear for a split second before i'd have to shift. I may go back to a 15T but it's a little more "revvy" for my tastes. Who knows, I may switch back just to get it to haul the mail that much harder :devil:

I'm happy just how it is for now :D

blankenship
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
hey was just wondering where can u get the super cooler oil cooler i dont mean to "high jack" the thread just want to make thee ol 400ex run cooler thanks

NacsMXer
05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by blankenship
hey was just wondering where can u get the super cooler oil cooler i dont mean to "high jack" the thread just want to make thee ol 400ex run cooler thanks

Got it from www.Deserttoyzatv.com a few years ago....I don't know if they still make the kit, give them a call ;)

red_rider_069
05-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I cant stand the whole thing when people say dont try to make the EX faster save up for the R. Maybe we like the looks, handling, and maintainance better than a 450 so we keep the great 400ex and build it up. Its mostly rider too. I cant count how many 450's ,banshees, z400's w/e i have beaten in different types of racing when I drag the 450 it kills me but on the track or trails theres no difference its the better rider. Drag racing Banshees and such I was clearly the better rider even though they had 4-5 times the amount of money I have in mods. Its all about knowing the machine and what feels best. Give a guy a quad with more mods, more power, more traction and you can still win because he may not be the best guy at riding or knowing the machine. On the other hand if you are equal riders or pretty close chances are you wont win. 440 stroker was the fastest thing I have ever ridden. Race any 450 unless they had port work and bored, with the addition to the normal mods (exhaust, intake, cam) and they would lose. I mean 86MPH... I rode it and I couldnt believe th power it had. 1st through 5th it pulled just as hard as the gear before until it bounces off the rev limiter it was amazing. sorry to tell you this.. but if you want to drag i would go save aup for a 450.. 400s are more like trail quads to me.. odnt ge tme wrong i love it. it jsut requires t much money to make it run the way i want it to. i am saving up fora 450 atm.. but im keepin ma 400 :)

05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
sorry to tell you this.. but if you want to drag i would go save aup for a 450.. 400s are more like trail quads to me.. odnt ge tme wrong i love it. it jsut requires t much money to make it run the way i want it to. i am saving up fora 450 atm.. but im keepin ma 400 :)

why sorry to tell me? I said a 450 would kill me in a drag.

red_rider_069
05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
why sorry to tell me? I said a 450 would kill me in a drag. lol didnt mean to quote anyone.. wasn't paying attention:ermm: .. lol my bad

05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
oh lol

skatrdude20
05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
If your a talented rider, you can beat an LTR on an MX track, trust me, Iv done it first hand. Its not always about the bike man.

NacsMXer
05-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by skatrdude20
If your a talented rider, you can beat an LTR on an MX track, trust me, Iv done it first hand. Its not always about the bike man.

Really depends on the type of track too. If there's a lot of wide open sections, a lightly modded 400 won't hang with a 450 too well. If the track is tighter, then it's gonna be more about rider/skill than what you got in the motor.

burnthesnikle
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
lol whooo!

i agree it is the rider...99% of it...
the guy on the 450r i ran against wasn't as good as i am...and i have ran against tons of other 450 and just the same...

now i love the 400 set up over everything else i have ridden...that is why i put in the 500 motor because i like that frame...now i can trail ride at 90+ and drag...problem solved....

Hondamaster5505
05-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Ughhh.

These debates always come up. Here's my view on things.

The 400ex is a great handling, nimble, timid trail quad. The reason people build them up is because of their chassis. Like I said, in stock form, the engine is very timid and mellow. That being said, you can turn them into monster's.

A WELL-BUILT 440 or 460 stroker can really run. But, I view it as, if your goal is to build a high-powered race quad, and piped and jetted 450 of any brand is the equivelance of a built 400ex. So, if you plan on racing, I would still stay the 450 route. Most pro's race bikes are pushing 60-65hp. Im sorry, but you're not going to get that out of a 400ex without nitrous.

I view the 400ex as a fun, nimble weekend warrior trail quad. While, being a great amatuer MX quad. You can get them to handle really good, but not go quite as fast, unless your comparing them to a piped 450.

Right now, I am plenty satisfied. I own two of my favorite quads:D The only think I would ditch the 400ex for is a raptor 700, but it's not like something Im desperate to do.

XXXRACER165
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by grispin23
i need to know what to do to my 400ex to make it go faster then a ltr 450 ?

Ok.......bottom line, I'm not going to say what you need if it's for a drag race. MX racing is different, you'll need a competitive engine at least (426cc). With porting, FCR carb, and a good exhaust. Then you need +2 a-arms with good suspension and a rear revalve and a GT thunder or Elka link. Few other odds & ends and you'll have a LTR killer.