PDA

View Full Version : Pro's & Con's of wheel spacers.

haley521
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I just wanted some input from people who have spacers installed on their rhinos. How do they work? Do they hold up & if so, what size spacers do you recomend? Also I have noticed that they vary alot in price between brands. Any reason for this? Thanks for the input.

ATV Macho Man
06-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Spacers are an inexpensive way to off-set your wheels. They tend to be a weak link between your wheel and hub.

I've seen guys lose their wheels because the spacers failed.

Are you trying to get some extra clearance or wider stance?

You might want to consider buying different wheels that already have the off-set built into them.

trxridr
06-10-2008, 06:17 AM
i believe that the biggest problem with them is they put too much strain on the lugs

HmF300ex
08-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Ye I wouldnt suggest them I used to have some on my quad, they broke the hub's lugs that screw into the spacer, ruining my hubs which is a $100 fix. I called the seller they said unless the spacers themselves broke they couldn't refund it and they weren't........:grr:

cjkranz
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
They can also put undo stress on the spindles possibly causing a failure..

haley521
08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the input. I found a used set of 2" spacers on ebay and I just got them installed. I really havent tried them out yet. I will keep a close eye on things. I really dont do alot of aggresive riding with our rhino. This is why I went with spacers also. Our rhino is set up with a full cage and back seats for our 9 & 6 yr. old daughters. We take it over to Attica In. to the badlands about 4 times a year and play on the sand hills. Other than that it gets used around our property or as a pit vehicle at the races. Thanks for the input.

Drew

supercreep
10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I have 1.5" spacers on my Rhino. Just be sure to keep the lugs tight (both wheel and spacer) and you should be fine. I was told not to jump or try to race with them due to strain on the bearings.

jrspawn
10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Be VERY carefull running spacers. Like others have posted they are a weak spot and will end up tearing up much more if you dont keep an eye on everything. On top of all of that, they will also affect steering. Just like a quad add a couple inches or more to your front wheels and your steering will get ALOT worse. When i got my first rhino i went the offset route and it was a joke to try to ride on the track. For play riding, it was ok but again was far less steering than stock offset wheels. I run a long travel setups now with stock offset front wheels(close to over center of spindle offset wise) which is like running a 4in1 wheel on a quad, the steering is Perfect and Very responsive.

Thank you
Justin