PDA

View Full Version : Engine troubles, help!

maxitout77
05-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I was trucking uphill today when the power just cut out. I was in some mud/water before hand, but this was 1/4 mile down the trail and running fine. I limped it back to the truck going slowly. after an hour of tooling with it and it sitting it then ran fine again, so this tells me its nothing internal.

It idles perfectly, but past 1/4 throttle the rear cylinder cuts out, spits, backfires, etc.

I've gone through almost everything, and I'm out of ideas. I've changed the plugs (thinking it fowled because of the water), put diaelctric greased the plug wire (spark seems to be fine). cleaned the carbs, ran a outside fuel line to the carbs, no difference. It's getting plenty of fuel. Compression seems to be fine. I have the airbox completely off and it will spit fire back into the carbs once and awhile.

At this point I'm thinking its something electrical. At idle the spark is fine, but I suspect its cutting out somehwere, hence the backfiring. Any thoughts? Coil? Buss fuse problem. Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.

Which 450?
05-12-2008, 04:08 PM
this bike has a limp mode it goes into when your belt switch trips, or it is in service mode, which seems to come on randomly. You need to either pull the belt cover off and see which way the switch is, if it has been tripped, you need to replace the belt. If it is in service mode, there is a sort of lengthy procedure to follow, it is easy tho. I could tell you how, but it would take forever, go to www.kawieriders.com do a search for "limp mode" or "limp reset" or something along those lines