PDA

View Full Version : figure this one out

johnafun
05-05-2008, 11:38 AM
04 ltz 400 engine mod's jeted,air lid off,hmf, rev box

every so often some water would get into the air box causing the bike to bog at high rpm's.no big deal drain it and go.so we thought.
same problem later devoloped but no water found no where getting to fuel. but then would misteriously clear up.

finally did it one last time at track. found water and mud in spark plug retainer. pulled plug , flushed the crap and turned over engine to try and spit as much out. nowturns over but wont start or fire.but yet pull the plug and ground it and got spark.put new plug in still nothing.

took it to mechanic he is baffled. got spark good compression,good fuel.now they are suspecting a valve.still no word back on that yet

so all you master mechanics try and solve this puzzle .whats your thoughts?

bellzbub
05-05-2008, 12:21 PM
valve adjustment, or piston rings.

have you checked compression? valve clearance?

start there and see what you got.

johnafun
05-05-2008, 01:14 PM
ooops 06 not 04 new update:

i have read peaple having probs with some model after market cdi boxes.so i called the mechanic and prayed he hadnt tore into the head yet and asked him to humer me by trying the stock cdi box. when he removed the plug from the box it was filled with dried mud. when he put the stock box on, it tried to start but backired a few times in the process and still wont stay running.

so next theiry(however you spell it) cdi box got water and mud causing engine to run all ****ed up knocking valves off spec.

sound rite?

so now theyre gonna check valve clearence and valve condition

making progress

thanks for your input

lesson learned for everyone else......DONT GO MUDDING WITH A SPORT 4WHEELER

i kinda hope the sleeve is scared so ilde have an excuse to move up to a 440 kit LMFAO

bellzbub
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
iv'e gone mudding with my z a lot. never had a problem with that. still sounds like valves or rings. improper maintainance is usually the problem. things need to be cleaned and inspected at a regular interval. not saying that is the case here. but it bears telling. a quick check of the valves every few rides can save big bucks later.

let us know what happens.

johnafun
05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
ya i must admit the last 6 months my checks and maintanance has extremely slacked off. EXCUSE i have 9 bike like vehicles to keep up with and its rotting my brain if its not one its another. constent repairs on one or the other then the rest get neglected till next month when another has problem. i should just take a month off and catch up on all.

06 yz450f stock ...been sittin up to long.would like to trade it off or sell it

06ltz400 modified..well we know its story above

07ltr450 modified..no probs here

07 gsxr1000 street stock drag bike... battery keeps dying found mps shiftkit draining battery....water in fuel probs... must drain tank after every race..

07 seadoo gti.... found 18 feet of tow rope in turbine

07 110 knock off utilety 4wheeler...nuts and bolts constently coming loose

3 - 08 kid 110 knock off 4 wheelers.....2 broken shocks....electrical shorts...loose bolts..blown spark coils.. all because kids are kids..LMAO... never let 5 and 7 year olds. wash theyre bikes unsupervised LOL

johnafun
05-14-2008, 12:43 PM
ATTN: WE HAVE RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok at first they thought they hed good compression . someone later used the same compression gauge and found it was stuck.so a new gauge was used and found low compression.

1st...the piston rings where found to be froze into the piston caused by (if you read the first post) mud that had fallen into the head after removing the spark plug. cylender walls are ok.

2nd... the original problem was the after market CDI not working properly emiting crazy eregular spark patterns and strength.sometime working good sometime's working bad. after inspecting the cdi box. there was no inspection approvel stamp. the cdi box was baught off ebay suspecting that wholesaler baught rejected parts and selling on ebay.

so new piston and rings and new CDI box.

the lesson: be carfull what you buy on ebay and if your spark plug recess is full of mud and water dont pull the plug LOL

thanks guys have a good one

bellzbub
05-14-2008, 01:58 PM
i have run into the low comp. before. glad you found it.

the next point is there is a hole on the side of the cylinder for just that pupose. you take compressed air and blow it into the cylinder. it goes to the sparkplug opening. and will blow the crud out of there. or you can take carb cleaner and spray it down into the spark plug hole and it will run out on the side of the cylinder.

johnafun
05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
yes yes i will be looking for that hole . thanks

drzoo2
05-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Was it a procom CDI? Glad to here you figured it out.

z

johnafun
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
it was a BIG GUN REV BOX