PDA

View Full Version : Gas Settings?

SUNNY1881
05-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey, I'm pretty new to atving, since I was a teenager this is my first bike. I have a 2004 Raptor 350. I was told recently I should keep the gas setting on Reserve all the time, is that right? Or should I be running it on the ON setting? What would be the benefit of running in reserve all the time? When I run out of gas wouldn't that be completely empty? No reserve at all just a sitting dead duck? What do you all think? Thanks

300ex mxracer
05-05-2008, 11:58 AM
If you leave the petcock at ON, you will have reserve left over after you run out. After it quits, turn it to reserve and you will have about .5 gallon to get back to refuel. If you run on reserve, when you run out of fuel you will be completely empty.

NacsMXer
05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
What he said is right ^^^

The only benefit of running RESERVE on all the time is to use ALL the gas you have in your tank. (say if you're hitting some jumps and don't want to suddenly run out of gas for any reason lol)

Use the ON position when you're on a long trip and need to save your RESERVE fuel for when you run out of gas in the ON position.

Inside the bottom of the tank is a small pickup tube attached to the fuel petcock. When you set the fuel to the ON position, gas is allowed into the pickup tube only to a certain fuel level in the tank......once the gas drops below that level, you run out of gas in the ON position (but still have a little gas at the bottom of the tank).

Switch it to RESERVE and that remaining fuel at the bottom is allowed into the pickup tube through the reserve circuit.....you can now run the remaining gas until you are fully out of gas.

:)

SUNNY1881
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys I thought that was a lil off!