PDA

View Full Version : swingarm paint??? has anyone done it

Mercedes
05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
well i just pulled out my subframe and swingarm and am going to paint them.

as anyone painted a swingarm before?
if so what paint did you use and will it hold up on aluminium?

any advice will help me make up my mind, how to prepare the swingarm and whatever you did.

thanks

Brandonkendall0
05-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda#4 is the guy to talk too. he has been painting alot of his stuff. Look for the thread "Did Some Painting Today." but yeah send him a PM

Honda#4
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I've never painted a stock swinger but if you have access to a sandblaster then that will work to get it blasted good, if it has been PC'd then forget about that and take it to a place to burn the PC off then blast it. About the bearings what i've been doing is putting washers on each side then tightened them up with a nut and bolt that way the blaster wont destroy the bearings and seals and you can still leave the bearing in without making more work (machine washers work best along with flat washers).

For painting I do a 2-3-3 coating process 2 coats primer 3 coats paint and 3 or 4 coats depending on what part it is (go 4 coats with the swinger) after the paint process is done leave it set over night to be sure the paint has cured enough then put on the clear coat then after thats done leave the part dry for a day or so,or to speed it up use a fan.

400ex28
05-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I have painted a stock swinger gloss black before. I just sanded it down really good which took a while. then shot it with primer then paint, it held up really good for being paint.

atvhonda-rider
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I sanded my stock swinger down, then used a thick rubberized 3m nascar approved 16oz can of bed liner i got from o'riley's, i did thin coats cuz it comes out thick. i did 2 thin coats of bed liner, and then i topped it off with black gloss part with clear coat. holds up great! i did the bed liner idea on my swinger and a-arms seeing as they take the most hits. jus my $0.02 -Wes