PDA

View Full Version : Gearing for mainly dune riding

jawalt
05-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Curious if anyone has played around with the front or rear sprocket gearing or if people think its just right out of box.

I was considering going down 1 tooth in the front and or +2 in the rear to make up for some of the missing lowend

dbkbushwacker
05-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Are you running paddles? I run 20'' six paddle extremes
with stock gearing and runs good.

jawalt
05-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Yep running 20" six paddle v-extremes and it does fine, though compared to a YFZ its missing some lowend IMO

dbkbushwacker
05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
With my paddles i get good starts but then other 450s catch me at the end. When I get my pipe, intake, and pcIII, I'm going to try my bros 21'' 7 paddle. What mods have you done to your quad?

jawalt
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM
FMF Mega Bomb, FMF 4.1 System, Velocity Intake, No Lid, Wire cut.

On the top end I have no problem :-) I ussually get beaten out of the hole, but always overtake 3-4th gear ish and no looking back. The top end is a lot stronger then a similarly modded YFZ or TRX 450. I can keep up with a lightly modded YZ450F until mid 3rd gear and it just leaves me but then again they have 100+ lbs on us :-)

I start out in 2nd gear as I used to on the YFZ and even if we switch rides to discount rider the same results happen, the YFZ gets a better jump but once end of 2nd to 3rd gear is hit and in the power band the DS pulls it.

I was figuring if I removed 1 tooth from the front maybe that would help, but was curious to what other dune riders have been doing, or if they are happy with the stock gearing and power band up top.

Me personally would like some more low end...

arshooter68
05-10-2008, 11:41 AM
How much differance over stock did the FMF Mega Bomb, FMF 4.1 System, Velocity Intake, No Lid, Wire cut make?

jawalt
05-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I couldnt tell you based on a Dyno, or individually, but all together it completely woke up the bike.

To me in car terms it felt like the difference from having a stock Mustang to a Mustang with an intake, gears and exhaust.