PDA

View Full Version : help

bmxican345
05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
i was at the virginia nationals last weekend and my ltr encountered a little bit of a problem.

it is VERY hard starting (via electric start, it will pop start though), and will not idle

I did fix the idle problem but all i did was crank up the idle speed a half a turn.

so far i have done the following:
changed the fuel filter
blown out and cleaned the fuel pressure regulator
cleaned the injector as best i could
cleaned the throttle body spottless
cleaned the idle circuit
checked and cleaned all the connections to every piece of electronics that have to do with the fuel system

when i try to start it with the electric start it will just crank and crank and crank and not start at all, unless i pump the throttle some to find a spot where the cranking gets faster, then it seems to spring to life, but thats like a a 1/100 chance.

the only way to start it is to pop start it and for a about 10 seconds after the start it runs a little "rough" until it seems to clean itself out.

any suggestions?

ltrracer
05-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Its your valves man, they are tight, pop the top on the motor and adjust those bad boys ASAP

bmxican345
05-05-2008, 04:51 AM
yep thats what i was gonna do today haha ill let you know what happens

ltrracer
05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
k cool man, let me know how they looked

bmxican345
05-06-2008, 06:03 PM
yeah i had the shop manual out and the specs for the intake valve clearance is from .1 - .2 mm, the smallest feeler i have is a .127 mm and that wouldnt even fit in there so as soon as i get new shims i'll but them in asap

bmxican345
05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
so i reshimmed the valves, didnt start, and i troubleshot the whole ignition system top to bottom and bottome to top, i troubleshot the whole FI system as well im currently on the injector as my last thing does anybody have any other suggestions?

jherbie28
05-10-2008, 06:41 AM
as stupid as it sounds, on the ltr there is a tip over switch behind the batwing thing that mounts the electronics. it has a pendulem(sp) type thing in there and can get stuck. this will allow the bike to crank and crank and crank all day long but not fire. take it off shake it and make sure it moves freely. like i said as stupid as this is it could be your problem. good luck

bmxican345
05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
yeah i've been through all that already i even checked the resistance in it, it all works fine. i did get it started last night though after cleeaning EVERYTHING. it was still a little bit hard starting but once it was warmed up it started right up so im just gonna see how it acts at the track tomarrow

hondaracer31
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Might be your battery getting weak. I had to replace mine at 6 months old. Now I keep a Battery Tender on it when I'm not riding.

bmxican345
05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
yeah it was cranking a little bit slow, i did charge it while i was tearing it down so it was a fresh charge when i tried it again so it cranked alot faster but it still had the same starting "characteristics" before i tore it down but idk.. im riding this weekend then ill look at it again before the next district race

hondaracer31
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
The more I think about this the more I think you need to do a compression check. I've seen these symptoms before and it needed a new cylinder.

05Z400rdr
05-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Also check your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

Landon

bmxican345
05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
the TPS is fine or else it would be totally non-ridable because it wouldnt respond to any throttle input. and yes after this weekends race (if i make it all the way through) im gonna do a compression test because today wen i was cleaning it i forgot to take it out of 1st to roll it back into the garage, i was hardly even pushing it and i cranked it twice sooooo thats proably it.

bmxican345
05-15-2008, 08:29 PM
well, my uncle donated his ltr to me for 2 weeks, so i pulled all my a arms shocks, etc. and put them on his and im sendin the motor out to yosh with a new cylinder. last time my motor was rebuilt by yosh was in jan 07 so it needs it anyway. and word is they have been gettin 6 more ponies out of them since then so ill be in luck haha