PDA

View Full Version : 416 FST type engine review

maxamillion
05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey everyone I know there is alot of talk about running liquid base gasket and thin head gaskets. I just went from my JE 406 to a 416ex. This time around I used 1104 Liquid Base Gasket and 1 layer of a steal head gasket (this is similar to how Mickey Dunlap builds his EX motors). I also lock-tighted the head studs and torqued them properly. Im running a 10.8:1 JE piston, CRF450 cam chain, stock cam, and 91 premium pump gas.

After a couple heat cycles I broke her in on the MX track friday, then raced saturday. She ran great with no leaks or any problems. Got 3rd on the holeshot out of 10 450 quads and 3rd overall. (Novice Class @ speedworld AZ)

So if anyone is leary about running lidquid base gasket and 1 layer steal head gasket.... It worked out great for me!! -Max

LeGaCyGiAnT124
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
good to hear from you Max. Seems like the 400 is doing well. Any pics of it?? Im still in the process of putting mine back together lol.

GPracer2500
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
What's the cranking compression? I'm really curious to know. If you don't have a tester, Walmart has a kit that comes with the adapter you'll need for I think less than $20. Also, did you measure the deck height during assembly?

GPracer2500
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Nevermind on the comp test. I see now you're running a stock cam (and I assume are still using the auto-decomp device).

maxamillion
05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
ye Im runnin stock cam so the compression test probably wouldnt be to accurate. The comp ration should be no higher than 11:1 because I think JE calculates their ratios assuming there is .040 squish height. And I should be very close to that now.

LeGaCyGiAnT124 - whats up, shes runnin at her peak right now I always have it torn apart throughout the week making adjustments. Its strictly motocross quad now! Got old style maier rears now cuz they hold up way better than my floppy stockers. Ill get more pics up soon.